How to Obtain a Free Background Check in the State of Indiana?
With the progress and advancement of nations and societies, a new wave of insecurity has gripped the minds of people. Crimes as a result of mistrust, cheating, and prejudices have been increasing at an alarming rate. Safety and security have become top priorities, and it’s not possible to compromise on trust and integrity at the workplace. Better to be safe and secure rather than be sorry; hence background checks are mandatory as per law. Background checks are necessary for various purposes by employers and other institutional purposes. They are managed and controlled by federal and state laws.
All states in the US are mandated by different compliance and regulatory Acts for which the protocol and procedures vary amongst member states of the Union. Background checks in the state of Indiana are regulated by Federal law. The law specifies the manner in which public records are maintained and managed by government bodies.
Background checks can be carried out- officially and unofficially. In the state of Indiana, it’s the Indiana State Police that carries out official background checks. Official background checks provide objective and factual data, whereas unofficial checks provide details on the history and character of the individual by looking into public records. These unofficial background checks are a great way to unearth private details of friends, neighbors, co-workers, relatives, enemies, etc
As per the Indiana Access to Public Records Act, citizens are entitled to access public records maintained by the respective government offices.
Official background checks are available at a price of $16.32. These checks are conducted by the Indiana State Police as a limited criminal record check. This kind of background check is most sought after the employers and they contain details of felonies, misdemeanors, and arrests, etc. There is also an expanded background check pertaining to residential care and healthcare care service providers.
Employment background check:
Employers resort to due diligence checks by inquiring into convictions or arrests in different ways. They can check into the prospective employee’s credit history, connect with former employers, or via social networking sites.
Care providers background check:
As a matter of procedure, Hospital/ care providers abide by federal regulation to obtain a background check on an employee who has frequent contact with the public, in whatever capacity.
Educational background check:
An applicant for a teaching position has to undergo a background check and includes the following parameters viz., criminal, academic, and driving record check, etc.
Important aspects to note:
- Indiana prevents employers from making a criminal background check on an employee until the first interview.
- Indiana permits the use of firearms without a state background check, for most varieties of firearms. Gun permits are issued via the local law enforcement agencies, however, permits are subject to completion of a safety course.
- An arrest record would show up the following aspects in a background report: warrant status, DUI convictions, sex offender related info, possession and consumption of drug/ marijuana, probation status, juvenile crime info (if any)
- Certain jobs of a sensitive nature will require to through a record of financial track record from Consumer Reporting Agency i.e., Consumer Protection Financial Bureau. These agencies are experts in compiling info on bankruptcies, employment track, loans availed, evictions, delinquencies, etc.
Important Notes and Links:
- To access court records=> https://public.courts.in.gov/home/portal
- If the information on a background check is found to be incorrect,
an individual could have it rectified by contacting the
Indiana Supreme Court
- Indiana State Police - Limited Criminal
History Search: http://www.in.gov/ai/appfiles/isp-lch/index.html
- Consumer Protection Financial Bureau: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/what-are-specialty-consumer-reporting-agencies-and-what-kind-of-information-do-they-collect-en-1813/
It's important for individuals to be aware and live within the framework of the law because the law and regulation is always subject to change.
Perform an Indiana Free Background Check with GoLookUp!