Iowa Criminal Records: How to Check and Search Criminal Records in Iowa
Citizens of Iowa are entitled to public record search under the Iowa Open Records Law. The Iowa State Records website is a repository of over 27 million public records, including criminal records, court records, vital records, and state background checks.
How to Request for a Criminal Record Check in Iowa
The Criminal History Record Dissemination Unit offers multiple ways for an individual to request for a criminal record search, which include in-person, fax, mail, or website requests.
The online/ website search of criminal records can be done without the need for a waiver from the subject of the record search, provided the request is in accordance with Chapter 692.2 of the Code of Iowa.
If you have a signed waiver given by the subject, then it is recommended that you use the requisition forms available on the Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) websites as the process will help you fetch complete information.
You need to make a payment of $15 for every last name requested.
How to Download A Record Search Request Form
- Go to the Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) website.
- Click the “Criminal History Request Form”. You can choose either a PDF or a Word form by clicking the respective link.
- Use as many request forms as the number of last names you want to search.
- Click History Billing Form, choosing either PDF or Word format.
- Use a single billing form even if you are submitting several record requests at once.
- Complete the Criminal History Request Form and the Billing form.
Applicable Methods of Payment
- Fee payments can be made through cash, check, credit or debit cards (MasterCard, Visa, Discover), and money orders. Any of these methods are acceptable when the request is being made through mail or in person.
- For faxed and online requests, payment must be through debit or credit card.
Mail and Fax Requests
- Mail the completed forms to the following address:
- If you are using fax, the completed forms must be sent to the following number:
- Submit the completed forms in person at the following address between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., from Monday thru Friday:
An online search will yield only such information as is acceptable under Chapter 692.2 of the Code of Iowa, which stipulates the extent of releasable information online without the subject’s signed waiver.
Search results will not include criminal history information concerning any arrest that happened 18 months earlier in case of absence of final disposition or completed deferred judgment details.
Information on any other arrests and convictions that are recorded with the DCI will be available to the requester.
Results obtained online will not bear the official DCI embossed seal as may be required for some purposes such as employment or other situations where proof of authenticity is required. If you need the DCI seal, then you need to submit requisition forms as explained above.
- Go to the Iowa Criminal History Record Search website.
- Click Begin Search option.
- Read the User’s Terms and Conditions pop-up carefully before you begin your search.
- Agree to the terms and you’ll be taken to the search page.
- Fill in all the required fields specified on the form.
Though Middle Name and Social Security Number are optional inputs, giving these details increases search accuracy and your chances of obtaining the right information.
- Make payment using your debit or credit card.
- Click “View Search Results” on the payment confirmation page, for results.
- Print the record results. Printing can be done twice, or for a period of 24 hours, whichever occurs first, without any extra charge. If you want to print the results within a 24-hour period, input your Request ID and the subject’s last name.
Turnaround Time for Search Results
Results for search requests made through the Iowa Criminal History Record Check website can be viewed immediately.
For requests sent by fax and mail, the average response time is 2 to 5 business days approximately. This time excludes the mail time.
The response time can vary depending on the volume of requests and the availability of staff.
Iowa Online Criminal Records Search
Like other public records in the United States, criminal records are also available online. Today, you can easily find online criminal records by using a professional public records search directory. To use this type of service, you need to provide the name of the person that you are searching and their state of residence. Then, the search engine you chose will scan the public records that are registered to the name of the person in question, and it will provide you with a detailed account of their criminal history.
In some cases, misspells and entering a wrong name into a directory can lead to you not finding criminal records. In case this happens, you can use other criminal records search services that are provided by public records search directories, like a reverse phone lookup, a reverse email search, or a reverse address lookup. With a professional directory, you can find the criminal records of practically anyone you want and find out the truth about their past.