Can Alexa Play iTunes?
If you’ve got your hands on an Amazon Echo device with Alexa integration, you’re probably thinking of syncing it with your iTunes account to play your large collection of music. Regardless of whether you want to play the music you’ve purchased legally on iTunes or whether you’d like to stream music from your Apple Music subscription, Alexa can do it all.
Here’s how you can stream iTunes music with Alexa
If you’d like to sync your iTunes music to Alexa so that she can stream your entire library of music to an Echo device, you can do so using a Bluetooth connection. Different platforms may have slightly different procedures. However, following these general steps should get you going.
2. Next, ask Alexa to Connect to a new Bluetooth device.
3. From the device you’re streaming from, select the Echo option once it shows itself on the device list to connect to it.
4. Anything you play through your device will stream to Alexa. This includes your iTunes library. If you’d like to disconnect from your device, say, “Alexa, disconnect from my device.”
After you’ve set your device up, you can ask Alexa to play music through Bluetooth by saying, “Alexa, connect to my smartphone.”
Here’s how you can stream Apple Music with Alexa
If you’d like to stream music from Apple Music instead of iTunes, Alexa has you covered. Follow these steps to setup Apple Music to stream to your Echo device on your Android or iOS device.
- Begin by opening the Alexa app on your smartphone.
- Click on the Settings option and follow it up with Music.
- Next, click on the button Link New Service (+).
- Navigate to the service options and click on Apple Music. Continue by logging in with your Apple username and password. After entering your username and password, click on the Done button.
- Set Apple Music as the default streaming service by scrolling to the bottom of the Music settings menu in the Alexa app, clicking Default Services and then clicking on Apple Music.
- You’re done! You can now ask Alexa to play a song, artist, playlist, or album and she will pull it from your Apple Music Library.
How to Upload iTunes Music to Amazon Music?
Aside from being able to connect Alexa to iTunes, you can also upload iTunes music to Amazon music. This service allows you to upload and store your music files onto the Amazon Music cloud and play it whenever you want. If you want to enjoy the service, you need a paid membership to the Amazon Music storage system. After you subscribe to the service, follow these steps to connect Alexa to iTunes and store your music on Amazon Music:
- Download the Amazon Music app to your Apple device
- Open Amazon Music and login with your Amazon login subscription
- Tap on the "My Music" tab located at the top of the screen
- Select "songs" and afterward, the Offline filter in the right sidebar
- Tap on the upload icon. Select the iTunes music you want to upload to the Amazon Music service
Once you are done, you will be able to connect Alexa to iTunes and ask Alexa to play your music whenever you want.
Important note: Those who have purchased iTunes before the year 2009 will likely be unable to access your music with Alexa. There is a great chance that iTunes is locked, so you will be unable to connect Alexa to iTunes unless you unlock your music.
The Amazon Echo is an incredible device which is ahead of the competition because of impressive Alexa integration. Apple and Amazon have worked together to make sure that their music ecosystems aren’t isolated from each other. Sync your music with Alexa today to get the most out of your Amazon Echo device.
Learn more about the Alexa features that you will love!