Kansas Domestic Abuse Laws and How to Get Help for Domestic Abuse
Domestic abuse is not uncommon and it is known to be prevalent across the globe; it is no different in Kansas but those that go through it should understand that there are laws pertaining to the same and the abuser can be dealt with severely. In other words, there is no need to keep mum or suffer in silence. Women and children are often more prone to domestic abuse and it is highly recommended that such people stand up to their rights and make sure legal action is taken against the domestic abusers.
Help for domestic abuse in Kansas
- Rose Brooks Center: Hotline 816-861-6100
- Kansas City Anti-Violence Project: Hotline 816-561-0550
- Newhouse Inc: Hotline 816-471-5800
- Domestic violence association of central Kansas, Salina Ph: (785) 539 2785
- Crisis Center of Dodge City, Dodge City Ph: (620) 225-6510
- Family Crisis Services, Garden City. Ph: (620) 275 2018
- Options Domestic and Sexual Violence Services Inc., Hays Ph: (785) 625 4202
- SOS, Inc. Emporia Ph: (620) 342-1870
- Liberal Area Rape Crisis and DV Services, Liberal Ph: (620) 6248818
Kansas Domestic Abuse Statistics
- Kansas law enforcement agencies accelerated the arrest rate in domestic abuse cases from 31% to 54% between 1992-2012.
- Many of the domestic abuse victims do not report their suffering to law enforcement agencies. However, agencies in Kansas have reported having responded to 23,508 cases in 2013.
- The number of domestic violence homicides rose to 30 in the year 2013 in Kansas. This comprises 25% of the total homicides in Kansas.
- Statistics clearly show that 1 out of 3 women and 1 out of every 4 men have suffered some kind of physical violence by a partner.
- Domestic abuse hotlines in Kansas, on average, receive 15 calls/ minute.
- Intimate partner abuse accounts for 15 percent of all violent abuses.
- Possession of a gun in the family/home increases homicide risk by 500%.
- A large percentage of the victims are females.