How to Clear Search History On Instagram
Instagram is one of the hottest social media apps in the world right now. It is now a hundred times more valuable than it was when Facebook bought it. That speaks volumes about its growth.
Instagram records your search history which allows the app to quickly locate accounts or hashtags that you’ve searched for in the past. Recording your history is essential but, understandably, it also comes with many concerns over privacy.
Sometimes you’d like to wipe your history because you’re seeing recommendations that you wouldn’t like to see such as an unwanted user. At other times, you may want to hide previous searches from appearing under the search bar. Whatever the reason for wanting to clear your search history, here’s how you can go about hiding your tracks.
It is important to know that Instagram’s search history can only be deleted through the app. The app can be accessed from many platforms such as Android, iOS and Windows.
- Start the app either by tapping it on your smartphone’s screen or by clicking on it on Windows.
- Type in your Instagram username and password. Alternatively, Instagram has the option of signing in with your Facebook account as well.
- Once you’ve logged in, tap or click on the Profile button. The profile button has a visual representation of a head and torso. If you still can’t find it, look for it in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- After clicking or tapping on the Profile button, you should see your profile. Continue by clicking or tapping on the Options button. You can find this button on the top right-hand corner of the screen. It is represented by three vertically-aligned dots on Android. If you’re on iOS or Windows, the Options button will look like a gear icon.
- Once inside the options menu, simply scroll to the bottom of the interface and click or tap on the Clear Search History option.
- Finally, a message will pop up asking you to confirm, just in case you were having second thoughts. When you’re sure, click or tap on the Yes, I’m sure button which will result in all of your search history being deleted.
Bonus – How to prevent Instagram from showing you certain users
If you’re tired of seeing a user pop up inside the app as a recommendation, you can hide them unless you look for them manually.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Log in to Instagram by typing in your Instagram name and password. You can also log in by clicking or tapping on the Log in With Facebook option.
- Look for the Search button which should look like a magnifying glass. You should find it on the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Next, tap or click on the search bar which you will find at the top of the screen.
- Then choose either the Top or People filter.
- Click or tap and hold the name of the account of the person you’d like to hide.
- Finish up by clicking or tapping on the hide button which will appear at the bottom of the screen.
Remember that search history isn’t the only factor that the algorithm checks when coming up with the suggested list. Other measures like unfollowing the unwanted account can be taken if you are still seeing unwanted results.
You don’t have to live with seeing the face of someone you’d rather not see on Instagram. It takes less than two minutes to make sure that the only time you’ll see that person is in a public place and nowhere else.