The 10 Worst Racism Crimes
By infohub — Dec 18th, 2017
A Crime that is committed against a person because of their race or the color of their skin is called a racist crime. Racism has been around for hundreds of years, but even in today’s developed society, racism is rampant. In the US, the highest number of racist crimes occurs against African Americans followed by the Hispanic community.
Here are ten of the worst racism crimes:
- Baptist Church Bombing: The incident that took place all the way back in 1963 was orchestrated by the Ku Klux Klan. Members of the clan planted fifteen dynamite sticks under the steps of a church. The explosion resulted in the death of 4 African American girls.
- Howard Beach Racial Killing: A couple of decades later, in 1986, two African American men were attacked by a mob of white American youths. One of the victims, Michael Griffith, 23, was killed after being hit by a car.
- Yusef Hawkins Killing: In another racially motivated killing in the eighties, sixteen-year-old Yusef Hawkins was shot to death after being attacked by a crowd of white youth.
- James Byrd Jr.: In June 1998, James Byrd Jr. was murdered in Jasper, Texas. Three white supremacists beat and urinated on Byrd before chaining him to the back of a pickup truck and dragging him on the road for three miles. Byrd was killed when his body hit a culvert and his head got severed from his body.
- Sikh Gurdwara Shooting: August 2012 saw the shooting and killing of six people by Wade Michael Page. The incident took place at a Sikh Gurdwara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.
- Frazier Glenn Miller: The former White Patriot Party leader has been convicted and sentenced to death on a count of racially motivated capital murder.
- Mother Emanuel Church Shooting: Dylan Roof, a white supremacist, entered the Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston on the 17th of June 2015, and gunned down nine African Americans.
- Frank Nucera Jr.: Former New Jersey police Chief Frank Nucera Jr. is facing federal charges for hate crimes. Nucera has been charged with a civil rights violation for assaulting a handcuffed African America and for using the 'N' word.
- Richard Collins III: Twenty-three-year-old African American Richard Collins III was stabbed to death by a racist white student of the University of Maryland. Collins was a student at Bowie University and a 2nd lieutenant in the US army.
- The Heather Heyer Killing: At the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, August 2017, James Alex Fields Jr. rammed his car into a crowd of protesters. A woman named Heather Heyer was killed in the incident.