The 5 Worst 90s Criminals
By infohub — Dec 18th, 2017
The 1990s were no stranger to crime and had seen its fair share of particularly heinous acts. The people behind these crimes were some of the worst criminals in history. While some might have claimed insanity, others had downright meticulously planned their deeds. Here is a list of five of the most notorious criminals of the nineties and the crimes they committed.
- Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold: The duo of high school students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold carefully planned an attack on the Columbine High School, Colorado. On the 20th of April 1999, the two boys entered the school armed with guns and explosive devices. They diverted firefighters using a firebomb and placed several homemade propane bombs in the school cafeteria. The worst part of the attack, however, was the shooting and killing of twelve students and a teacher and the injuring of several others. The boys aged eighteen and seventeen years respectively took their own lives after the incident.
- Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols: On 19 April 1995, Timothy McVeigh parked a truck filled with over 4,800 pounds of explosives under the day care center of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. At 9.02 am, the truck exploded killing 168 people, injuring more than 680 others, and damaging another 324 buildings in the area. McVeigh was arrested soon after the incident and was sentenced to death in May 2001. He was executed by lethal injection in June that year. Terry Nichols, who was McVeigh’s accomplice, is serving a life term in prison.
- Susan Smith: In October 1994, Susan Smith claimed that a black man had kidnapped her two sons. The boys Michael and Alexander were aged three years and fourteen months respectively. Further investigation revealed that Susan herself had murdered her two sons by drowning them in the John D. Long Lake in South Carolina. Smith was convicted of two counts of murder and was sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Aileen Wuornos: Between 1989 and 1990, Aileen Wuornos murdered seven men. The serial killer would claim her victims by shooting them at point-blank range. Wuornos was sentenced to death for her crimes and was executed by lethal injection in October 2002.
- John Gotti: Gangster, drug dealer, mob boss and murderer, John Gotti was one of the most notorious criminals of the eighties and nineties. After a long chase with no luck, the FBI finally managed to arrest Gotti in 1990. He was subsequently convicted of five murders and sentenced to life imprisonment with a $250,000 fine. John Gotti died in prison in June 2002 from throat cancer.