There are politicians in power who lead a country to success and growth and then there are politicians who do the opposite. Many a time, for their own personal gin politicians have committed crimes and sometimes with devastating effects. Here is a look at some of the most outrageous politician’s crimes from around the world.
1. Adolf Hitler: The German dictator not only initiated World War Two but was also responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews. Hitler will always be known as one of the most tyrannous leaders in history.
2. Joseph Stalin: Another dictator, Stalin was in power in the Soviet Union from 1924 to 1953. During his reign he was responsible for the deaths of more than twenty million of his own citizens and another twenty million soldiers. Stalin was also known for torturing and starving prisoners.
3. Fidel Castro: The Cuban leader was in power for over fifty years during which time he set up a dictatorship rule. Castro has been accused of intolerance, suppressing democracy and persecution and execution of anyone who didn’t conform to his rule.
4. Richard Nixon: The thirty seventh president of the United States of America. Nixon is known for his involvement in the Watergate Scandal. The purpose of the break in was to bug the offices of the president’s political opponents. It was his involvement in the cover-up of the scandal that led to Nixon’s resignation.
5. Chen Shui-bian: The former Taiwanese president was arrested on charges of fraud and corruption. Chen’s wife is suspected of transferring millions of dollars of presidential funds to personal accounts overseas.
6. Silvio Berlusconi: Berlusconi is the former Italian Prime Minister. His term as prime minister is immersed in controversies involving sex scandals and fraud.
7. Moshe Katsav: The eighth president of Israel was accused of rape by ten women. He was convicted of his crimes after resigning as president and served five years in jail.
8. Kim Il Sung: Kim Il Sung was the leader of North Korea for almost fifty years. During his term he was responsible for the war in Korea and the deaths of 1.6 million people.
9. Pol Pot: During his four years in power in Cambodia, Pol Pot was to blame for the deaths of over two million people. The Cambodian genocide was carried out by the Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot.
10. Saddam Hussein: Saddam Hussein was in power in Iraq for twenty-four years. The Iraqi leader was found guilty of crimes against humanity and the murder of hundred and forty-eight Iraqi Shiites. He was executed by hanging.