How to Find Someone in Jail?
Are you looking for ways in which you can find someone who is currently in jail? Then there is an option which will allow you to do it for free. But you will also have to find out whether that person has been incarcerated or not. There is a website called VINE which can be of great help in this matter if you are looking for someone who is in county jail. But in case you are looking for someone in federal prison, then the website of the Bureau of Federal Prisons is the website for you.
How to Use VINE?
The full form of VINE is Victim Information and Notification Everyday and this is a system through which you can find the criminal offender and locate the person in jail. This system is basically a notification network. The basic method of the process involves tapping into criminal records that span over 2900 agencies and 48 states. The best thing about using this extensive database is that you will always get information that is up-to-date.
- On the homepage of the website, you will have to first select the name of the state where you want to conduct the search.
- Once you do that, you can search the person with their first name or last name or you can also use their inmate ID. Some of the optional fields that you can use to narrow down your search are age range and date of birth.
- Once you find the person that you were searching, you will get all the information that you need. The things that are listed include their inmate/offender ID, race, date of birth, gender, location, the status of custody, and the release date scheduled for them.
- If you are interested in the status of the inmate, then you can stay notified by registering. This way, a notification will be sent to you when the inmate is transferred or released. The notification will be either sent to you in the form of an email or a phone call.
But what you have to remember is that VINE does not provide any information on federal prisons.
How to Locate Federal Prisoners?
If you want to locate someone who is not in the local jail but in some federal prison, then the website of the Bureau of Federal Prisons will be helpful. The website is completely free to use just like VINE.
- There will be an inmate locator tab on the homepage of the website www.bop.gov.
- On clicking the tab, you can search the prisoner either by their name or inmate number.
- Then, a list of names will be shown on the screen that matches the information that you have entered. The list will also show the inmates’ ID number, full name, sex, age, race, prison location and the date of release.
- Once you select the name of the person that you want to view, you will be redirected to the website of that particular location where the person is and where you can get more details.
If you already know the location of the jail the person is in, then you can check their own website for info. In case there is no info on the website, you can always call them up and ask for information.
If you want to stay abreast of all the latest information that is available, then these two methods are the best and they won’t cost you anything as well. Both these sites are excellent when it comes to locating the whereabouts of an inmate whether in the county jail or federal prison.