How to Register to Vote in Louisiana
Voting Eligibility in Louisiana
To register to be a voter, you need to be eligible to vote. The following are the eligibility conditions in the State of Louisiana that you need to fulfill:
- Should be a US citizen
- Can be 17 years at the time of registration (or 16 if registering at the Registrar of Voters), but to vote you need to be 18.
- Should not be in prison convicted of any felony.
- Should not be mentally incompetent or have voting rights suspended.
- Should be a resident of Louisiana.
- Must be registered at least 20 days before the voting day (if registered online, else 30 days before).
- Those in military service or staying overseas can register and vote at the same time by using the Federal Post Card application.
Confidentiality in Louisiana
For all voters below 18 years, their details are confidential and will not be disclosed to anyone. For all other voters (above 18), the following information is confidential.
- Driving license number
- Social security number
- Email address
- Mother’s maiden name
- Date and month of birth
Online registration in Louisiana
In the State of Louisiana, you can register to vote online. The Geaux Vote Online Registration System is used at the website https://www.sos.la.gov/
You can fill in the online form. If verified by the Department of Motor Vehicles, you can submit the form online, and it will be processed and your name added to the voter’s list. To register online, you should have your driver's license number and enter the audit code on your license card.
Else, you can take a print of the form and mail it to the Registrar of Voters Office at the parish where you stay. This website has the details: https://www.sos.la.gov/
Registration in person in Louisiana
You can also register in person by visiting any of the following places:
- Department of Motor Vehicles, Louisiana.
- Department of Children and Family Services, Louisiana.
- Offices of the WIC.
- Food stamp offices.
- Medicaid offices.
- Disability offices like Independent living offices
- Armed forces recruitment offices.
While registering you have to fill in the application and submit proof of your residency and address. A copy of the driver’s license and the birth certificate may need to be produced. Social security number or any government document having your name and address is also acceptable as proof of residence.
Registering by mail in Louisiana
You can also choose to register by mail. You can register either by using the Louisiana voter registration form or the National Mail Voter Registration Form. In either case, you need to fill the form and mail or hand deliver to the Registrar of Voters Officers at your parish. They would send an address confirmation card.
Canceling registration in Louisiana
If for any reason, you do not want your name in the voter’s list, you can fill the Cancel Voter Registration Form and mail it to the Registrar of Voter’s office at your parish.
Some facts related to voter registration in Louisiana:
- Registration should be in person, online or by post. Registration by fax is not accepted.
- You can register before you turn 18, but to vote you must have completed 18 years of age.
- You need to register online 20 days before the election to be eligible to vote. If registering in person or mail, you should have registered 30 days before the elections.
- To register online, you have to keep your driver's license card with you as you need to enter the audit code from the card.
- You need to be resident of the parish where you are planning to register.
- If you move from one parish to another, you may need to register again.