How to Register to Vote in Montana?
Voting eligibility in Montana
To register to be a voter, you need to be eligible to vote. The following are the eligibility conditions in the State of Montana that you need to fulfill:
- Should be a legal resident in the State of Montana. You should have established a residence in the state at least 30 days before the day of elections.
- Should be a US citizen
- Should be 18 years old by the date of the elections.
- Should not have been disqualified by any court order.
- Should not be in a penal institution for a Montana felony conviction.
Where to Register in Montana?
In the state of Montana, you can register to vote in person at the local county election office. You need to visit the county election office and fill in and submit the application form and submit details of your state government ID as proof of residence. You can visit the county election office in the county you stay in.
The full list of county offices in Montana can be found here: https://sosmt.gov/Portals/142/Elections/Forms/electionadministrators.pdf
Registration deadline in Montana
You can register anytime you want. However, if you are registering before the election, you need to keep in mind that you must register 30 days before the election. However late registration is allowed till voting day, but it has to be done in person at the county election office. Only then will you be eligible to vote. You will receive a notification of registration card. In case you do not receive, you need to contact the local County Elections office.
Party affiliation in Montana
While registering, you would be asked to record your party affiliation. If you record the same, then you can vote in the party primaries, caucus, convention, etc. You can choose not to show an association, in which case you cannot participate in the principal of the party.
How to Register in Montana
Online registration - Online registration facility is not available in the State of Montana. Voters need to register in person or by mail.
In person - You can visit any of the county election offices for registration mentioned above and fill in the application. You need to fill the form and record all your details. Your residential address and the document you are showing as proof needs to be registered.
By mail - You can also choose to submit the voter form by mail. In which case, you can download the form online from this link: https://sosmt.gov/Portals/142/Elections/Forms/Voter_Registration_Application.pdf
Once you download it, take a print and fill the form. Make sure no details are left out and also verify if the name and address you have recorded match the name and address on the motor vehicle records or your social security details.
On filling the form, you can send it by mail to the local voting office.
Once you hand in your voter form, you will get a notification card, and your registration is complete. You can vote at the next elections.
- Make sure you enter the correct details; else you are liable for action under the law.
- Make sure you submit the registration form on the deadline date, which is 30 days before voting day or for late registration up to election day provided you visit the local election office in person.
- The website https://app.mt.gov/voterinfo/ contains voter information and is a handy tool for voters to find out if they have registered or not. If not, a copy of the form can be downloaded, printed and mailed.
- The state also offers a voter pre-registration service to increase the accuracy and currency of registered voter details. The site can be accessed at https://registertovote.mt.gov/.