Ok Google: Get to Know Google Assistant!
Google's 'Now' feature was retired a while ago, which left room for a new assistant system for Android devices. Google didn't wait long to launch 'Ok Google' that has some features users love. The advanced Google assistant can help the busiest and most forgetful people, and if you don’t know how it works, now it's time to find out.
What is Google Assistant?
Google Ok has evolved since its first version and, it is now available on both Android and iOS devices. The app is interactive, immersive, and proactive, which makes for great user experience. The app is voice activated so you can give voice commands to find practically everything you want to find.
The app is built into the latest Android phones, but if you have a not so recent version, you can still enjoy Google assistant. Ok Google is available for download for any phone running Android 5.0 Lollipop or later, so you can download it from Google play if it's not already on your phone. iPhone users with an iOS 9.3 version or later versions can also download the app to their phone.
Google Assistant Search Options
You can use Google Ok's voice commands to perform a hands-free search for the following:
- Live sports scores and schedules
- Nearby restaurants and shops
- Videos and images
- Movies times, casts, and reviews
- News, stock information, and more
- Other web searches you want to perform
Discover features and personalized updates:
- Get top news and weather updates in the morning
- Get updates on chosen topics that interest you
- Get information about your favorite hobbies
- Get updates on movies, sports, and events
- Follow topics that interest you (derive from your previous searches)
* Several Discover features are not available in every country
How to Use the Google Assistant
As mentioned before, Google Assistant understands voice commands, and you can use it to set your alarm, find a place to eat, provide you with important reminders, and much more. To give Google Assistant a voice command, you need to make a long press on the home button. The app will launch, and
A bit like Siri (Apple’s version) you can ask the Google Assistant for a joke, poems or even games. It will talk to you about the weather and what you’re day looks like, too. Over time, the app will study you, your preferences, and get to know you to the point that it will offer you things you like or want even before you request them.
Ok Google Common Voice Commands
To get accurate and helpful results, you can use the following Google Ok commands when using the app:
- Set an alarm for…
- Record a video
- Remind me to…
- Set a timer for…
- Take a picture/photo
- Post to…
- How do you say [goodbye] in [French]?
- Navigate to…
- Where is the nearest…?
- What's this song?
- Show me my flight info
- Where's my package?
- Send email to…
- Make a note
- Next Song / Pause Song
- Create a calendar event
- Directions to…
- What is my schedule for tomorrow?
- What's the flight status of…?
Google Assistant Best Features
In an attempt to improve its services and search results, Google offers several notable Google assistant features:
1. Availability – Google assistant is available on Android devices, iOS devices, Wear OS for smartwatches, and recent tablet versions.
2. Unstable connection correction – if you experience an unstable connection to Google assistant, it will automatically optimize results when the connection is bad.
In case a certain search is not complete, users will get a notification with the search results as soon as the connection is renewed
3. Google lens translation – Google assistant works along with Google Lens; the 'conversation' between the two allows you to get information about what you are seeing, like translating a text in a foreign language.
4. Multiple voice recognition – Google assistant can now recognize and understand the voices of several users. The feature is mostly handy for Google Home users, and if they do not want to speak to the device, they can type in the request into their phones.
5. Google Actions – Google Actions is a third-party app connected to Google Assistant that allows performing transactions with over 70 partners. Google Actions supports transactions within the apps of the partners, making them quicker and easier.
Google Assistant User Reviews
Users of Google Assistant had this to say about the app:
- "I use Google more than 5 times a day easy, so I'm a little bias. I totally enjoy the feed, the results and plenty more. The only reason I have 4 instead of 5 is I know there is always ways to improve... like dark mode would be fantastic or even update the "what's new" when the app is updated. I like to see what each update is and what's the reason for the newest update. I like the recent updates but could be more appealing with knowing what I play in my feed related to YouTube. Thank you"
- "Typical of what you would expect from Google, a fast, reliable, feature-rich application that will make your life easier. Continually updated for both additional features and bug fixes, this application includes Google Assistant, Google Search, and Google Cards, etc., most of which are able to be operated both independently and in conjunction with its related standalone app."
While there are always improvements that can be made to any app, even Google Assistant, the bottom line is that the voice command assistant is handy, easy to use, and will make the lives of its users a whole lot simpler.