Albuquerque Police Departments Police Departments
The Albuquerque Police Department (APD) is the largest police department in New Mexico. The mission of the
Albuquerque Police Department is to maintain peace and protect the community with a clear emphasis on community-oriented policing while integrating fairness, pride and respect in its daily functions. Thus the APD envisions a community existing in peace where the rights of each citizen are respected and preserved.
The Albuquerque Police Department incorporation with the citizens of Albuquerque, the city of Albuquerque, the State Government, and the Federal Government combine forces to eradicate crime through a regimen of aggressive law enforcement. The community plays a big part in the enforcement and implementation of laws of the state.
The Albuquerque Police Department clings on to four core values that help them form into an effective force in crime
prevention. Some of the values are:
- Integrity: The APD maintains a level of trust with the community by ensuring a healthy level of honesty, consistency, and compassion and holding on to a very high degree of ethical conduct.
- Respect: The APD holds in high regard the dignity and sanctity of life and therefore an abuse of force is never implemented.
- Fairness: Everyone, regardless of race and religion will be treated with courtesy and equality.
- Pride: There is a sense of pride, professionalism, and service which is indoctrinated in the APD’s daily functions
The Albuquerque Police Department has divided the city into 6 geographical areas which are also called as Area
Commands. They are as follows:
- The Foot Hills Area Command also is known as the Jefferey Russel Memorial Substation.
- The Valley Area Command also is known as the Geral Clime Memorial Substation
- The North East Area Command also known as John Carrilo Memorial Substation
- The Southwest Area Command also is known as Shawn McWethy Memorial Substation
- The Southeast Area Command or the Phil Chacon Memorial Substation
- The Northwest Area Command or the Michael King and Richard Smith Memorial Substation.
The Albuquerque Police Department has specialized departments that deal with different aspects of law enforcement. Some of them are:
K9: The K9 units is a Police Dog Department that goes a long way in law enforcement. These dogs are used effectively in apprehending suspects with the least amount of violence and injury involved to the officer, the public or the suspect. Search operations are carried out with the K9 unit to search and arrest fugitives. Police Service Dog is also used to detect suspect narcotic violations, explosive materials and conduct article searches. The K9 force effectively reduces man-hours and helps the APD employ its forces to other areas that need their service.
SWAT: The SWAT or the Specials Weapons And Tactics Team is responsible for tactical solutions to hostage situations, riots and high-risk warrants. SWAT was designed to resolve violent situations and combat crimes that are extremely violent in nature.
Horse Mounted Unit: The Horse Mounted Unit helps, provide support and assistance to the traffic patrol unit in traffic regulations and crowd control.
Bombs/EOD: The Bomb Unit is a tactical unit that is specially trained to diffuse bombs, explosives, and other improvised explosive devices. The bomb unit is also involved in the investigation of the scene of a bomb blast, gathering and follow up on crimes scene investigation
Narcotics: The Narcotics department of the Albuquerque Police Department was specially formed to deal with the increasing drug and narcotics menace that is destroying individuals every day. The Narcotic department is charged with the investigation of all clandestine narcotic labs operating in the city. The Narcotics department apprehends criminals involved with illegal drugs and seeks, destroys and dismantles drug laboratories in the city.
Albuquerque Police Department Contact Information:
The Albuquerque Police Department can be reached on
Emergency calls: 911
Non Emergency Calls: (505) 242-COPS or (505) 242-2677
One Civic Plaza
Albuquerque New Mexico 87103