Joliet Police Departments Information
The Joliet Police Departments is responsible for law enforcement in the city of Joliet, located in the Will and Kendall counties in the state of Illinois.
About the Department
The City of Joliet Police Department has jurisdiction of a total area of 64.43 square miles. The department is responsible for law and order in Joliet that has a population of 148,099. Joliet is the fourth largest city in Illinois.
The Chief of Police heads the Joliet Police Department. The present head of the department is Chief Alan Roecher. The department works under the city council. It has a main station and a substation.
The Joliet Police Department Address of the Main station is:
150 W Washington St
Joliet IL 60432.
911 is the number to dial in case of an emergency. For all other issues, citizens can call the department phone number (815) 726 2491. The general number of the department is (815) 724 3100.
The Joliet Police Department Email address is not shared but citizens can contact the department online by filling the form at https://jolietpolice.org/contact-us/
The Joliet Police Department’s website is https://jolietpolice.org/
The Chief of police is the head of the police department in Joliet. The department is organized into four divisions. The details of divisions and sections in the department are:
- Technical service division: The division manages all technical aspects of the department. This includes communications that handle dispatch and manages the 911 number. It has the Records unit and the support services unit that provides operational support to all the other divisions in terms of providing and maintaining fleet and equipment.
- Operations Division: This is the largest division and handles patrol through the city. There are three districts in the city for patrol – East, Central, and West. It has the tactical unit that concentrates on gangs and the Narcotics Unit. It has the special services division, the neighborhood policing unit, and the traffic unit.
- Investigations Division: All crime and other investigations in the city are handled by this division. It has a General Investigation Unit, Criminal Intelligence Unit, Evidence Unit, FBI fugitive task force, FBI crime task force, and the Auto theft unit.
- Administration Division: General administration activities within the division are handled by this division. It has an internal affairs unit, budget unit, accreditation, planning, crime analysis, and training units.
File a Report
Citizens can file a police report by calling the department or by visiting the main station or substation. It is possible to file reports online by visiting https://jolietpolice.org/report/file-an-online-report/
Online reports can be filed for the following incidents:
- Accidental property damage
- Theft valued below $300
- Damage to property below $300 as a result of a crime
- Lost property
- Nuisance and animal complaints
- Non-criminal information for the police
The department is involved with the community to ensure safety and security in the city. There are a number of community programs for crime prevention and ensuring peace in the city. These programs include:
- Citizen’s police academy where a course on police operations is conducted to create awareness on law and order for interested citizens.
- Police Explorer program is meant for young people who are interested in a career in law enforcement. Selected candidates are trained about careers in the police department and get to work with the police to understand the operations. It can be a stepping stone to being recruited as a police officer.
- Child Passenger Safety program is conducted to ensure children are safe in vehicles.
- Lock it or lose it is an initiative to promote the safety of vehicles and belongings kept in vehicles.