Sacramento Police Departments Information
The Sacramento Police Departments is the law enforcement agency in the city of Sacramento, which is the capital city of the state of California.
About the Department
The City of Sacramento Police Department has jurisdiction of a total area of 97.92 square miles. The department manages police operations in the city that has a population of 508,529. Sacramento is the capital city houses all key government buildings including the legislature and Governor’s office.
The Police Chief is the head of the Sacramento Police Department. The department works under the city council. Chief Daniel Hahn is the current Chief of police and is the first African-American to occupy this post. There are 799 sworn officers working in the department. They are aided by 440 civilian staff.
The Sacramento Police Department Address is:
5770 Freeport Blvd,
Sacramento CA 95822.
(916) 808 5471 is the phone number that citizens can contact in case of any non-emergency situation. For emergency situations, 911 is the number to be dialed.
The Sacramento Police Department Email address is email@example.com
Citizens can connect with the department online on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SacramentoPoliceDepartment/
The Sacramento Police Department’s website is https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Police
Sacramento Police Department Organization
The Police department in the city of Sacramento is headed by the Chief of Police. The Chief is helped by Deputy Chiefs of Police. Below the Deputy Chiefs are Captains who head divisions. Below them in the hierarchy are Lieutenants, followed by Sergeants, and Police Officers.
The Internal Affairs division that deals with complaints against the police, Media and Public relations unit and the Intergovernmental and Legislative affairs units work directly under the Chief.
The other offices and divisions in the department are as follows:
- Office of Operations manages all the patrol operations within the city. The city has been divided into six districts for operational purposes – Northwest, Northeast, Central, Southwest, South, and East with each of the districts having beats.
- The Communication office manages all communications including the 911 helpline and the dispatch section.
- There is a Metro Division that provides specialized resources within the city and has a hostage negotiations unit.
- The Gang Enforcement unit manages gangs within the city and keeps them under check.
- Marijuana Compliance Unit monitors drug offenses.
- The Office of Investigations handles all investigations in the city. They have a team of detectives who carry out investigations. There is a Homeland Security team, Forensic investigation unit, records unit, and property division. The Personnel services and training units are also under the office of investigations.
- Office of Specialized Services has the K9 unit, SWAT unit, Traffic operations, Air operations, Regional transit police services, public safety services, Crime analysis unit, Outreach unit, and Mental health services, team.
File a Crime Report
Citizens can file a crime report by calling the police on their phone. They can also visit the police stations. Certain types of crimes can be reported online. https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Police/How-Do-I/File-a-Police-Report is the page from where online reporting is possible. The following crimes can be reported online:
- Assault and battery
- Child custody violation
- Financial crimes
- Harassment phone calls
- Hit and run
- Illegal dumping
- Lost property
- Theft and burglary
- Accidents that do not involve injuries
- Violation of Restraining order of a court
Joining the Sacramento Police Department
The department announces vacancies and hires eligible candidates to join the department. The following is the hiring process followed by the department:
- Written exam
- Pre-employment questionnaire
- Panel interview
- Agility test
- Background check
- Polygraph exam
- Conditional job offer on clearing all these phases
- Psychological exam
- Medical exam
For more details, those interested in a career in law enforcement can visit https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Police/Join-SPD/Hiring-Process-and-Preperation