New Jersey Northern State Prison Profile and Valuable Information
Located in the city of Newark, Northern State Prison is a facility that has inmates in mixed custody levels. Based on the type of guidance needed as per their crimes and sentencing, the inmates have been divided into different units. The prison has more than 2600 inmates housed in it.
Northern State Prison history
This correctional facility was opened in the year 1987. for male offenders. The New Jersey Department of Corrections is the agency that is responsible for ensuring that every activity inside the premises of this facility is actively monitored and the offenders are provided the right environment which helps them in becoming better people in the due course of time.
Northern State Prison phone number
If you wish to contact any inmate or wish to speak to any of the prison authorities, you may dial (973) 465-0068.
If you wish to speak to any inmate, make sure that you call in the business hours and should be in possession of the inmate’s ID number as well as the name.
Northern State Prison address
If you are planning to visit this facility personally, you need to make a note of the following address:
168 Frontage Road
Newark, NJ, 07114
Northern State Prison inmate programs
For the inmates who are looking towards making a fresh start after their sentences, the Northern State Prison and its authorities have always taken some great steps by introducing certain educational and vocational training programs for any person who might be interested in them.
The facility has always encouraged a selected group of inmates based on their behavior and other factors for certain community service. Also, inmates who have shown enthusiasm to become better citizens have been engaged in a bedding and cloth shop which is located inside the premises of the prison.
Northern State Prison visiting hours
The visiting hours and the associated rules depend upon the unit in which the inmate has been housed. Let us have a quick look to understand the details:
- Minimum Unit inmates have their visitation during the weekend – i.e. Saturdays and Sundays. The registration for such visitation starts from 08:00 am to 09:45 am in the morning and 12:30 pm to 02:15 pm.
- Main Compound inmate has their visitation scheduled for Saturdays and Sundays. The registration starts from 07:45 am to 08:45 am in the morning and 11:45 am to 12:45 pm, for the afternoon visitations.
- For Non-Contact visitation, you need to call on 973-465-0068 on extension number 4204 on Fridays from 09:30 am to 03:30 pm to fix an appointment. You may visit the inmate on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays between 05:30 pm to 07:30 pm.
- The Infirmary inmates have their visitations on Sundays between 08:30 am to 09:30 am. But you need to fix an appointment before your visit.
- Delta Units which are actively monitored very closely have visitations on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays between 05:00 pm to 06:00 pm and 06:30 pm-7:30 pm. Before your visit, you need to call on the number - 73-465-0068 extension number - 4150 on Monday to Friday between 08:00 am to 02:15 pm.
Northern State Prison mail and visitation rules
As far as the mail rules are concerned to ensure that items such as Jewellery, cigarettes, stamps, drugs or any related items are not being sent to the inmates under any circumstances. However, you may send certain letters and photos to the inmates. It is always better to check with the prison authorities if you have any doubts or questions regarding the dos and don’ts.
If you wish to send any mail or parcel to any of the inmates housed in the facility, you need to take a note of the below-mentioned address:
Inmate Name, ID Number
Northern State Prison
P.O. Box 2300
Newark, New Jersey 07114
Regarding the visitation rules, the inmate needs to first provide a list of names and addresses of his potential visitors. If you have a near or drear in this facility, you should ensure that your name is on that list.
In continuation of the above, the visitors need to ensure that they comply with all standard procedures pertaining to the safety of the inmates. These include contacting the concerned prison authorities and the inmate through appointments as and when they are deemed mandatory. During the visit, the visitors should ensure that they are dressed appropriately which includes avoidance of revealing clothing or dresses that are considered too short by the prison authorities.
Also, the visitors’ clothes should not match the uniforms of the inmates at the facility. Every visitor should expect himself/herself to get frisked by the security at the entrance and must carry a valid id proof as well at the time of the visitation.
Northern State Prison inmate search
For more details and a lot more important information, you must visit the GoLookUp inmate search directory where you can find answers to lots of your questions.