Wichita Work Release Facility Profile and Valuable Information
The Wichita Work Release Facility is a minimum custody state prison for adult male inmates, particularly on work release status. It works as a satellite unit to the Winfield Correctional Facility in Cowley County, Kansas. If you have an inmate who is held here, read the following guide to understand (as a visitor) the basic procedures of this prison.
Wichita Work Release Facility history
Opened in the year 1988, the center started with just 102 beds. The capacity has been expanded over the years and today it stands as 500+ adult male inmates. This state prison facility is a medium-security one. The majority of the inmates here are sentenced for at least one year or more for having committed serious crimes. The Kansas Department of Corrections operates and administers this facility. The facility is more like a transition center holds those convicted felons who’ve been screened to participate in the residential work release program.
Wichita Work Release Facility phone number
Call +1 316-265-5211ext. 221 / 208
Wichita Work Release Facility address
Wichita Work Release Facility inmate programs
The Wichita Work Release program is the major program. It was designed with the purpose of preparing selected inmates for their release by providing them an opportunity for a successful transition into the free society. How? The inmates leave the facility under close supervision to work within the surrounding community during the daytime and by day-end, they are brought back to the facility. Things to do within the pre-release program are as follows:
- Full-time employment must be maintained in the community
- Participants have to pay a part of the income as boarding fees, court costs, transportation expenses, and other outstanding debts.
- Participating inmates are responsible for the maintenance of both their rooms & common areas of the facility.
- Also, they need to take care of their own dental and medical expenses
Other programs include SAP (Substance Abuse Program), Basic Computer 101, T4C (Thinking 4 A Change), Offender Work Force Development, Vocational training programs, Rehabilitation programs and, Risk Reduction Combination Program.
Wichita Work Release Facility visiting hours
Visitations at the Wichita Work Release Facility are permitted only on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays between 12:30 Pm to 3:30 om. Only Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, 4th of July and Memorial Day are the holidays when an inmate can be visited.
Wichita Work Release Facility mail and visitation rules
- The envelope must have the inmate name and inmate ID, along with the address
- Any mail that you intend to send to the inmate, must be under the approved item list.
- 10 pictures in a single mail is a safe number to send
- Magazines, Newspapers nor books must be received directly from the publisher. Eg. Amazon.com
- You must be on the inmates approved visitors list. An offender can have a maximum of 20 visitors on this list.
- Ask the inmate for the application form; fill it and post it to the Correctional Counselor for processing
- All visitors must carry a valid government ID. For minors, carry their birth certificate.
- If a minor is visiting, their name should also be on the approved list and they must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
- Random drug tests may occur
- All visitors must submit to a routine search and pass through a metal detector while entering the facility.
- Sign-in on arrival and also when you leave the facility
- Leave all electronic devices and tobacco products in the car
- Constant physical touch with the inmate, throughout the visit, is prohibited. A brief hug or kiss is allowed at the beginning and end of your meet.
- If the visitor has to travel over 150 miles, special visits are organized under the authorization of the Warden.
- Some offenders (with medium & minimum custody) are allowed outdoor visitations.
- Revealing clothes, outwears (like hats, etc.) are not allowed.
- Your clothing shouldn’t resemble the staff’s or inmate's clothing (for obvious security reasons).
- Wear shoes at all times
Wichita Work Release Facility inmate locator
Visit https://golookup.com/inmate-search. This inmate search directory makes it easy to find the whereabouts of an inmate.