Arizona Birth Certificate: How to Get a Birth Certificate in Arizona?
The Bureau of Vital Records of Arizona’s Health Services department issues birth records. You can apply for an Arizona birth certificate by mail, in person, or online.
Arizona belongs to the category of a “closed record” state. This means public records such as birth certificates are not available for public access for reasons of confidentiality. The Arizona Administrative Code specifies people who are eligible for applying for a birth certificate.
Who Is Eligible for Obtaining a State of Arizona Birth Certificate?
The Arizona Administrative Code specifies the following:
- Any individual of or above 18 years of age is eligible. The Bureau issues a certified copy of the birth certificate upon fulfillment of the following conditions:
o The applicant submits an application with his or her signature on it;
o The applicant provides an identification that is valid and recognized by the government; or submits the application with notarized signature;
o The applicant pays the applicable fee.
- If you are a parent, then:
o Your name must be present on the birth certificate. Else, you need to provide any of the following as proof that you are the parent:
- A court order’s certified copy that names you as the parent; or
- A certified copy of adoption issued by a court, or an adoption certificate that carries your name as the parent.
o You must submit a signed application;
o You must provide an identification that is government-recognized, or submit the application with a notary- attested signature;
o You must pay the prescribed fee.
You can apply for a birth certificate for a registrant as a grandparent, spouse, adult child, or grandchild, adult sister, or brother, conservator, guardian, court-designated individual, a Power of Attorney-designated individual, an attorney applying on behalf of the registrant or his or her parent or guardian, a private attorney authorized by adoptive parents, an adoptive agency applying on behalf of adoptive or biological parents, or upon a request from a government agency.
As an applicant in any of the above categories, you need to meet the required criteria specified by the Arizona Administrative Code to obtain a birth certificate.
Apply for Arizona Birth Records in Person
You can get a birth certificate in person on the same day at your county’s health department office. You can obtain more information about your local county office and the fee applicable for the process here.
Order Birth Certificate Arizona by Mail
- Obtain an application for a birth certificate.
- Complete the application.
- Choose an office location for mailing the application.
- Include a copy of your government-recognized picture identification.
The identification must bear your signature, or the signature must be notary-attested. The copy must carry both the front and back sides of the identification.
If you are an applicant other than the registrant, or his or her parent, then you must also include proof of eligibility.
- Include a stamped envelope bearing your address along with the form and other documents mentioned above.
- Include a fee amount in accepted formats according to the existing fee schedule. Cash payment is not allowed. You can use money orders, cashier’s checks, MasterCard or Visa.
In case of cashier’s checks or money orders, make the payment for the exact amount to the Office of Vital Records.
For cards, specify complete card number and the date of expiry on the application.
The time required for processing is 5 business days from the date on which you sent the application to the Vital Records office. You can also apply for an Expedited Service by choosing a faster shipping method for an additional fee.
How to Get a Birth Certificate in Arizona Online
It takes less than 10 minutes to apply for your birth certificate online. The portal is self-explanatory and easy to use.
- Go to the Birth Certificate ordering portal.
- Specify whether you are applying for your own certificate or for another individual.
- Fill in all required fields.
- Make payment using any major credit card, including Discover®, Visa®, American Express®, and MasterCard®. The current application fee is $31.00.
- Choose the preferred delivery method. Express Delivery makes overnight delivery. If you are choosing Regular Mail, delivery can take 7 to 10 days. The processing times for each delivery are 3 to 5 business days and 7 to 10 business days respectively.