18 Serial Killer Facts that Will Shock You
Serial killers are defined by the FBI as individuals who have committed to or more killings separated by a span of time. The US has had some of the most prolific serial killers in the world who have surpassed the FBI's definition many times over. With dozens of brutal killings under their belt, the following serial killers have made their mark in history in the most horrible ways. If like many others, you are intrigued by the topic of serial killers, these serial killer facts will shock and surprise you. Be advised.
1. Ed Kemper, AKA the "Co-Ed Killer" had a surprising role in prison; he voiced several audiobooks, including "Flowers in the Attic", "Petals on the Wind", "Sphinx", "Star Wars", and other books.
2. Kemper had a rocky relationship with his mother, which resulted in him using her decapitated head as a dartboard. In true serial killer fashion, Kemper used the mutilated head after he killed and sexually assaulted his mother.
3. Ted Bundy, who had killed more than 30 women, killed women who resembled his ex-girlfriend.
4. The same Bundy helped the FBI to catch another serial killer - Green River Killer (Gary Ridgway). Bundy helped law enforcement to capture the killer by letting them into the psyche of a murderer; Bundy suggested that the FBI stakeout fresh graves, as the killer is likely to revisit the dumping sites of his victims.
5. Jeffrey Dahmer, who committed acts of "necrophilia, cannibalism, and the permanent preservation of body parts", had many bodies stashed in his apartment. In fact, there were so many bodies in his living space that Dahmer stashed one in the bathtub and bathed over it for a month.
6. The "Golden State Killer, "Joseph DeAngelo", had one victim that survived his assault. Years after the fact, he called his intended victim and said "Going to kill you...going to kill you...going to kill you."
7. Andrei Chikatilo, "The Red Ripper", had a 1 in a million condition in which his blood type did not match the blood type found in his semen. This genetic abnormality led to his release after his blood type did not match evidence in a crime scene that was attributed to him.
8. A documentary about Jeffrey Dahmer revealed that he used to hand out sandwiches to his neighbors, which could have contained human flesh. Gruesome.
9. Ed Gain used to work as a babysitter.
10. The same Ed Gein was the inspiration for several horror movies, including "Silence of the Lambs", "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Psycho", and other films.
11. It is no surprise why Gein had the dubious honor of serving as an inspiration to horror flicks; the secluded Gein used to rob and desecrate graves, use body parts to make household items (such as human-skin lampshades), he made suits from women's skin, consumed body parts, killed women, and committed several other heinous crimes.
12. Israel Keyes sent a ransom video to the family of a girl he kidnapped. Unfortunately, the girl in the video was dead at the time Keyes filmed her, and he sewed her eyes open to make her appear alive.
13. Dennis Rader, AKA the BTK killer, and BTK strangler killed 10 people during a three-decade murder spree, during which he also served as the president of his church.
14. Robert Hansen, AKA “Butcher Baker”, killed women as sports; he would kidnap women, release them into the Alaskan wilderness, and hunt them down. During his killing spree, Hansen raped more than 30 women and killed 17 women.
15. Rodney Alcala, “The Dating Game Killer” served as his own attorney during his trial. During a five-hour courtroom "investigation", Alcala asked questions addressed to "Mr. Alcala" in a deep voice and answered his own questions in his normal voice.
16. John Wayne Gacy, "The Clown Killer" killed several dozen young men, and buried many of them in his home's crawlspace. Gayn's wife, Carol, asked her husband about the smell once, to which Gacy replied that the smell was caused by mice. Carol believed him and never asked questions about the smell again.
17. Richard Ramirez, AKA the "Night Stalker" was identified by his bad teeth, as one of his victims was familiar with the killer's gnashers.
18. Ted Bundy requested his body to be cremated and the ashes are scattered in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State; the location where for of the killer's victims were found. His request was fulfilled.
Do they have a criminal record? Perform an advanced criminal records search with GoLookUp.