How to Register to Vote in South Dakota?
If you want to register yourself in the state of South Dakota, you should do so at least 15 days before the Election Day. The auditor should receive your registration card within this deadline so that you can cast your ballot in the forthcoming election.
South Dakota-Eligibility to vote
It is possible to register to vote when you fulfill the following conditions:
- Should be at least 18-year-old on the upcoming Election Day
- Should be a US citizen
- A resident of the state of South Dakota
- Any court of law should not have adjudged you as mentally incompetent; and
- Not serving any imprisonment sentence for being convicted of a felony
South Dakota: ways of procuring a registration form to vote
- In person: Any eligible individual (according to the above-listed conditions) can register himself/herself at one of the following sites:
- Office of the county auditor
- Any Driver’s license station ( At the time of making an application or renewing their driver’s license, an individual can register for voting on their application for driver’s license)
- Offices of DHS (Department of Human Services) that offer support to the recruitment offices of disabled military personnel
- Public assistance agencies
- City Finance Office
- In writing or by mail: You can print the registration application form to vote to the office of your county auditor. However, it should be noted that the law in South Dakota does not permit one to send his/her voter registration form through email or fax.
South Dakota-Directions for voter registration in the state
- The first step is to visit the Register to Vote Tool, take a printout of the Voter Registration Form and fill up the form for voter registration.
- Sign the form (Use the original signature) and put the date on the form. It is extremely important to do so.
- Either hand-deliver or mail this completed form to the County Auditor.
- The auditor should receive the properly filled-up form at least 15 days prior to the election for which a person wants to vote. It signifies that one needs to register prior to the deadline for voter registration.
The voter registration form in South Dakota can be used for the following purposes:
- Alter your party affiliation
- Register for voting in the state of South Dakota
- Updating the registration address or name
- Cancel one’s voter registration. It may be done by filling up the voter registration form’s bottom portion.
South Dakota-online verification of the status of your voter registration
You can either call the local County Auditor or the Secretary of State to do so.
South Dakota-Qualifications for an absentee ballot
It is imperative to understand that any registered voter can use the absentee ballot to vote. However, the said voter should fill up a fresh application on every calendar year.
South Dakota-How to procure an absentee ballot
- In person: The voter can procure an application form for heir absentee ballot either at their office of the county election office or online. After that, the filled up form should be returned at their office of the county election official.
- By mail. Download and take a printout of the absentee ballot application. After that, it should be sent to the concerned County Election Official.
One needs to remember that the official should receive their absentee ballot application form within 5 pm on the day before Election Day. South Dakota-Submission of Absentee Ballot
The office of your county auditor should receive all the voted absentee ballots before the poll closure on the day of the election.