Unclaimed Money in the State of South Carolina
In South Carolina when the properties, money or other kind of assets are not identified by the rightful owner, those properties, money or another kind of assets are considered as unclaimed money or property. Generally, unclaimed property or money is maintained by the Treasury Department of South Carolina. If you want to get unclaimed money or property, you will have to file a claim with proper evidence and your identification.
In South Carolina, a program for consumer protection under the law of unclaimed property has been launched to develop protection for the owners and their heirs and the estates as well. When any property or money is not actively handled for a certain period of time, generally five years and the holders are also not able to locate or identify the rightful owner of the money or property, this property or money are included within the Unclaimed Property Program of the Treasury Department of South Carolina. If you want to prevent your financial accounts from being abandoned or unclaimed, you should maintain your financial accounts actively and ensure your contact information which is related to your financial accounts.
How to Claim Unclaimed Money in the State of South Carolina?
Sometimes, you may think about unclaimed funds or property like any money owed to me, you can search to get information about the existence of your unclaimed property or money. Before filing your claim for your lost or unclaimed money or property, you will have to check database information provided by the Treasury Department of South Carolina to ensure the existence of your unclaimed property. You need to follow the steps given below.
- You will have to select the official website of the Treasury Department of South Carolina and open the applicable page where you can enter your name or company’s name and the name of your city to check database information about unclaimed cash or property provided by the Treasury Department of South Carolina.
- If the result of your unclaimed money search shows the existence of your unclaimed property or money, you will have to click the button to get the list of unclaimed property and money. Then you will choose the options for which you want to file your claim.
- After choosing the options of unclaimed property or money, you have to fill the form for filing your claim to get unclaimed money.
- You will have to provide essential documents for the verification of your identity related to your unclaimed property or money.
Follow These Steps
When you will check the existence of your unclaimed property or money, you need to follow some essential steps and these steps are:
- You should make a list of the states before starting your checking procedure by following the database information of unclaimed property or money. You should include the name of the state where you are presently living and the name of the other states where you previously were resident and the other states of the head office of your previous employer.
- You should mention the state if you have purchased any financial insurance policy, gift checks or certificates from the other states.
- You should also search for your unclaimed property or money at the national level such as life insurance policy, pension benefits and the Federal Deposit Corporation and so on.
South Carolina unclaimed money
In South Carolina, unclaimed property and money are kept within the Government Unclaimed Funds. There are different types of money or property which are considered as unclaimed property or money and these are dormant bank accounts, the unclaimed policy of insurance, unclaimed shares or certificates, un-cashed checks, unclaimed checks of dividend, and so on.