Knowledge — 1 year ago

Class 3 Firearms License: Learn All About It!

by Eddie V.

Class 3 Firearms License, Firearms License

What is a Class 3 Firearms License?

There is nothing known as a Class 3 Firearms License. A person who possesses a Federal Firearms License must be a Special Occupational Taxpayer (SOT). This is compulsory to deal, import, or manufacture a specific type of firearms known as Title II or NFA Firearms. This firearms category includes Short Barrelled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Silencers, Full-Auto Machine Guns along with Any Other Weapons.


An FFL or Federal Firearms License enables the individual or company holding that license to engage in any business related to importation or manufacture of ammunition or firearms. These license holders can conduct both intrastate and interstate firearms sales. It is compulsory to hold an FFL in order to engage in such activities as per the Gun Control Act of 1968. The BATFE or Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives issue such a license. The BATFE is colloquially known as the ATF.

The FFL was created to implement the 1968 era Gun Control Act. The 1938 written Federal Firearms Act needed al firearm dealers and manufacturers who receive or ship ammunition or firearms to have the due license. Unless a few predetermined conditions are met, the holder of the license cannot transfer any ammunition or firearm.

For all practical purposes, this did not affect ammunition or firearms trade both within the state or between the states. Only the adoption of the Gun Control Act of 1968 lead to the repeal of major points of the FFA and the interstate trade of firearms began to be lawful again. Only persons holding the FFL can do these activities.

A few kinds of accessories and firearms along with other weapons are presently restricted as per the National Firearms Act or NFA. This is applicable in addition to the present FFL.

Class 3 Firearms License

Firearms License types

The FFL has a total of 11 types of licenses. The Type 1 dealer trades in firearms but not the destructive device. The holders of the FFL can deal in Title 2 firearms carrying a SOT Class 3 status. The Type 2 license is given to pawnbrokers in firearms except for destructive devices. Type 3 refers to the licensed Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms collector.

A Class 2 firearms license, if a person wants to deal with, manufacture or imports firearms or ammunition, he/she has a Federal Firearms License under the Gun Control Act of 1968. The class 2 firearms license addresses to a manufacturer who paid to get a Special Occupational Tax that allows them to Title 1 or Title 2 firearms and ammunition. To get a class 2 firearms license, the person who applied for the license must wait the 60 days for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to review and approve the license.

The Type 5 FFL is given to firearms ammunition manufacturers. All ammunition except armor-piercing ammunition and destructive devices are covered. Type 6 are given to same as Type 5 profile with one important difference. This particular license permits the holder to manufacture ammunition. The Type 7 FFL is given to individuals or companies who manufacture firearms but not destructive devices. The holder can, however, deal or manufacture Title 2 or NFA firearms carrying the status of SOT Class 2.

The Type 8 FFL is given go firearms importers with the exception of Destructive Devices. The holder can import Title 2 or NFA Firearms carrying SOT Class 1 status. Gunsmith holds this specific FFL. The holder of Type 9 FFL deals in Destructive Devices. The holder demands payment as SOT Class 3. If the holder wants to act as a broker or deal any Destructive Device with explosives content, then an extra Federal Explosives License is needed to be a Dealer of High Explosives.

Firearms License
The Type 10 FFL is given to Destructive Devices manufacturers. The holder needs payment as SOT Class 2. If the holder manufactures any Destructive Device, then an extra FEL could be needed as the Type 20 Manufacturer of High Explosives. The Type 11 FFL is given to Destructive Devices importers. This includes armor-piercing ammunition. The dealer needs payments as SOT Class 1. An extra FEL or Importer of High Explosives is a must to import as the Importer of High Explosives.

How to get a class 3 firearms license

If you are wondering how to get a class 3 firearms license, this is the way:

  • Complete ATF Form 5310.12, most commonly known as ATF Form 7, which is the application for your Federal-Firearm License. It is an 18-page long-form, so you need to careful and accurate when filling it out.
  • Complete two FD-258 cards for each responsible person – these are fingerprint identification cards that define a responsible person as "a sole proprietor, partner, or anyone having the power to direct the management, policies, and practices of the business as it pertains to firearms. In a corporation, this includes corporate officers, shareholders, board members, or any other employee with the legal authority.”
  • Submit two 2”x2” photos - you need these photos for each responsible person.
  • Schedule an interview with an Industry Operations Investigator (IOI) who will check that the form is as it should be.
  • Wait to get the answer for your application - approximately sixty days.

Firearm Background Check: Start your Search Here!


Find Unclaimed Money & Assets

InfoHub by GoLookUp covers the latest and most comprehensive latest updates, news and information from around the web. InfoHub writers explore the internet and collect, analyze and deliver valuable information for our readers.

Golookup © 2015 - 2020 · All Rights Reserved