What is OK Google: How to Use OK Google?
For the uninitiated, “Okay, Google” is an intelligent voice command, which can be used by a user to make sure that Google Assistant is activated on their Android phones. The command enables the user to access Google Assistant although they could be in some other app or their mobile phone screen is not on.
So just use your voice to make a device to all kinds of things. Some of its excellent features include fast, convenient, and intelligent. There has been a steady increase in the commands, as well as, compatible apps for “OK, Google.” It signifies that there are so many things that can be done with Google, which you could not even be aware of.
While it is now understood that a user can use his/her voice to interact with Google Assistant, the next pertinent question that comes in mind is what do they say?
Google Assistant can be used as one would use Siri on their Apple iPhones. However, it is even better as you can do so many different types of things by simple voice commands. Following is a list of (though not complete) things that a user can say. While the list is not an exhaustive one, it features the major commands that should be said after saying “Hey Google” or “Okay Google.”
- Take a photo/picture
- Open (To open BBC iPlayer app for instance)
- Set an alarm
- Record a video
- Set a timer
- Make a mote
- Ask what your schedule for tomorrow is
- Remind you
- Create a calendar event
- Make a note
- Where is my package?
- Navigate to
- Send the email to
- Show flight info
- Directions to
- Pause song/next song
- Read/watch/play (However, the said content should be available in your Google Play library)
- Get an audio response when you ask Google to make you a sandwich
- Make me a sandwich (audio response)
Like mentioned earlier, there are other commands too apart from the ones listed above. It is also imperative to point out in this context that you would not come across Google Assistant in all the Android mobile phones. However, it is inbuilt in many latest Android mobile phones. Luckily though, it can be downloaded from any mobile phone with Android version 5.0 Lollipop and higher versions. Users can download and install it free of cost from Google Play. You will also find Google Assistant for iPhones with iOS 93 and later versions from the App Store, free of cost.
In case you have an Android mobile phone, you can turn it on be saying “OK, Google” to begin using the feature and do not even have to tap on the phone’s microphone icon.
How to turn on and use “OK, Google”
- Open Google app from App Drawer Then. The hamburger menu has to be tapped on. Next, go to Setting. Another way is to choose Settings->Google-> Search.
- Go to Voice-> Voice Match. Next, turn on the “Access with Voice Match.” It is also possible to toggle the “Unlock with Voice Match” when you want to use “OK, Google” commands although your mobile phone is locked.
- Next, go through the instructions so that your phone is trained to recognize and respond when you speak.
- In case you face problem after saying “OK, Google,” as it does not seem to respond to your commands, you can “Delete voice model.” Try to set up once more.
You have now turned on “OK, Google” on your mobile phone and can start using it.