WhatsApp Messenger App Review: Pros and Cons
Free instant messaging has taken the phone market by storm over the last decade, court-circuiting mobile carriers and their - sometimes insane - SMS charges. During this period, a number of apps offering free messaging have come to the fore and disappeared, but WhatsApp has maintained its popularity, and consistently managed to remain one of the top choices with users. In fact, the statistics are surprising.
As of 2019, WhatsApp has 1.5 billion active users in over 180 countries, with the average user checking it more than 23 times per day. It is the third most downloaded Android app in the world, and its number of users in the USA alone is predicted to grow to 25.6 million by 2021. For a company founded by two friends and former Yahoo! employees in 2009, these numbers are quite impressive. Especially if you take into account that the idea came to the duo - Brian Acton and Jan Koum - following a backpacking trip to South America.
WhatsApp's key selling point is most likely its total lack of charges. It lets users share multimedia files and instant messages, as well as talk for unlimited amounts of time, wherever in the world they are. All of this for free! The app also works on most of the smartphone models that include Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and BlackBerry, and on 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi networks.
Let us now share our WhatsApp Messenger review and discuss some of the app's pros and cons. Even though it would be fair to say that the advantages supersede the disadvantages. Here is everything you need to know about WhatsApp Messenger:
WhatsApp Messenger Review: Pros
• Free phone calls, free MMS and SMS to all WhatsApp users.
• No registration required as it uses mobile number for recognition purposes.
• Group messaging with a limit of 250+ members.
• Messaging multiple contacts using the Broadcast Lists.
• Accurate location can be shared using WhatsApp. You can immediately begin the trip using google maps or your phones default map.
• Audio and video calls
• Email conversations on WhatsApp for printing or backup purposes.
• Provides security by giving end-to-end-encryption. Nobody including WhatsApp is able to view your chats.
• Pleasant messaging experience without ads.
• Send and receive unlimited messages across the globe.
• Status of the message revealed using grey and blue ticks.
• Send video and audio messages up to the size of approximately 16MB.
• Send document files (spreadsheets, PDF, documents, slideshows) up to 100Mb.
• Email Conversation instead of private messaging is possible.
• Insert Emojis to make the conversation fun and interactive.
• The Whatsapp now offers its services for the web as well as Desktop that includes Windows 8 and MAC OS X 10.9.
• Saves both time and money by reducing Multimedia messages and normal Text.
• Whatsapp can function without sim card data provided you have registered your account.
• You can change your number without losing your present Whatsapp account.
• It is possible to delete a sent message as long as it is done within 4096 seconds (approx 1hour 8.2 seconds).
WhatsApp Messenger Review: Cons
• The number of members in the Whatsapp group limited to 256 persons.
• Retrieval and storing the chat-backup is time-consuming and tedious.
• It is possible to change to a new device using the same number, but the existing chat in the old device cannot be recovered on the new phone.
• Too many videos and images can occupy a lot of space in the device.
• Does not work without mobile data (offline).
• The absence of an inbuilt personal assistant like Google Allo which could have made things easier.
• Whatsapp features not available in all countries. It is a huge setback if you want a calling functionality in a messaging app.
• Video files larger than 16MB and documents bigger than 100 MB cannot be sent on WhatsApp.
• Unlike Facebook, WhatsApp does not have animated stickers and hence you have to satisfy yourself with Emojis.
• Contacting another person is possible only if you have their contact number, unlike Facebook or Snapchat.
WhatsApp Messenger is growing in popularity and is used and enjoyed by people irrespective of their age. Offices, family, and friends use this app for various requirements, especially as our world becomes increasingly international. It is certainly a great way to keep in touch, share thoughts, videos, documents, and pictures and stay connected. You might want to consider the pros and cons before deciding to install WhatsApp Messenger on your smartphone. However, the installation of WhatsApp on your smartphone will not harm your device. So, we suggest that you try out the app if you haven’t already, as you can uninstall it whenever you decide to do so.