What is the Law on Breach of the peace in Alabama and What are the Punishments for it?
The word Breach of the peace is used for interrupting the peace, usually public peace. It is seen in a legal context and is considered a major crime all over the globe. It is when an individual display behavior which involves disruption of public peace and calms through fighting, shouting and screaming in a way that causes interruption with other individual's peacefulness and tranquility, he/she is said to be guilty of "breach of peace". In simple terms, it is the violation of the peace in the community, to its members i.e, the general public.
Breach of Peace Law Causes:
Several laws exist that defines breach of peace.
Majorly it includes the following:
- Engaging in a fight or instigating for a fight with any individual in the public.
- Using derogatory language with any individual in the public that may result in a fight and disrupt peace •Shouting/ screaming in the public places that may lead to a fight and disrupt the peace •Ragging in hostels, colleges, and schools that may result in a violation of a peace
- Playing loud music, use of loudspeakers at unacceptable levels •Barking of a dog in excess
What does not include breach of the peace?
- Being a part of boisterous play
- Annoying other individuals
- Demeaning and humiliating an individual
- Action and gestures such as thumbs down
Apart from this, a person engaging in illegal assembly disrupting peace, affray, rage in community, riots and other types of violence are also included in breach of peace.
What are the general laws for breach of Peace in Alabama?
Alabama code 13A -11-7 defines breach of peace in Alabama -
According to the law of Alabama, it can be defined as:
- An individual is involved in the offense of breach of the peace if the individual engages in a fight or challenge another individual and that disrupts peace.
- An individual is involved in the offense of breach of the peace if the individual interferes with the assembly that is lawful in nature and that may result in a fight and disrupt peace.
- An individual is involved in the offense of breach of the peace if the individual intentionally creates a hazard for another individual in public.
- An individual is involved in the offense of breach of the peace if the individual makes unnecessary noise in the public places that may lead to a fight and disrupt the peace.
- An individual is involved in the offense of breach of the peace if the individual hinders with the traffic on the road.
How can the law interfere in Alabama?
The law can interfere with the breach of peace through police at the active site in the following manner:
- The peace officers can interfere by making an entry amidst a place where the peace is disrupted or about to disrupt.
- The peace officers can arrest individual/s who are involved in breaching of peace.
Penalties and punishments concerned with a breach of peace in Alabama:
The law of Alabama takes offense of breach of peace seriously and the accused is subjected to the punishment accordingly. It can either be seen as a Class C misdemeanor.
As a result of this, the following are the punishments decided by the law for this offense:
- when considered seriously, it can lead to 6 months of the period in the prison of Alabama
- Hard work in the country prison or monetary fine of 500$
- An individual can even be charged with both