Current Divorce Rate Statistics in America?
Statistics Related to Divorce
A divorce is the termination of a marriage. When a couple gets into a marriage, they hope to continue it forever. Circumstances can change and relations can sour, leading to separation and divorce. Let us look at statistics pertaining to divorce in the USA.
Studies show that the divorce rate in marriage is coming down. Since the beginning of the 21st century, marriage rates have declined. One of the reasons for this is the trend among millennials to marry late. This has subsequently led to a reduction in the rate of divorces. The divorce rate in the US is 3.2 per 1000 persons. This is known as the crude divorce rate, it gives an idea of the divorces and changes over time.
Other studies show that nearly 50% of all marriages in the US could end up in a divorce. Statistics show that 41% of first marriages lead to a divorce. When it comes to second marriages, 60% would result in a divorce. For third marriages, the trend is even more ominous, 73% of third marriages would lead to a divorce.
When we look at the divorce rates in the US, as compared to the rest of the world, we find that three countries – Russia with 4.8 per 1000, 4.1 per 1000 in Belarus, and 3.2 per 1000 in Gibraltar have higher divorce rates than the USA.
Divorce Statistics Explained
When we look at the detailed statistics related to divorce with reference to gender, we can find that divorces are more prevalent in women than men. It is at 16.9 per 1000 persons. 26.6% of married women under the age of 20 years to get divorced as compared to men where the rate is 11.7%. For the other age categories though, it is men whose divorce rates are more.
In the 20 to 24 age group, 36.6% of women get divorced and 38.8% men get divorced. In the 24 to 29 age group, 16.4% women and 22.3% of women get divorced. In the 30 to 34 age group, 8.5% women and 11.6% men are divorced. The divorce rates come down with age. In the age group of 35 to 39 years, 5.1% of women and 6.5% of men are divorced.
There are some more statistics of divorces in the USA:
- On average, a divorce happens 8 years after marriage.
- Divorce happens in the USA at a rate of 1 every 13 seconds.
- In 1920, 1% of women over 18 were divorced. Today, this figure is at 15%.
- On average, a couple get divorced at the age of 30 years.
- In a marriage, in almost 66% of cases, it is the wife who applies for a divorce.
- Before a divorce, most people take on average 2 years time to take a final decision.
- An interesting statistic is that 6% of divorced couples get remarried.
Divorces by Profession
An analysis by the profession of divorced people reveals interesting facts:
- The highest divorce rates are among dancers and bartenders, who have a divorce rate of 43 and 38.4 percent respectively. Following this are Massage therapists with a divorce rate of 38.2%.
- Least divorces are among agricultural engineers (1.3%), Optometrists (4.01%), and members of the clergy (5.61%).
Reasons for Divorce
Studies have shown the main reasons why divorces happen. They are:
- 73% of divorces happen because there is no commitment to continue with the marriage.
- 56% of divorces are because of arguments in the marriage.
- 55% of divorces happen due to infidelity by any of the partners.
- 46% of divorces because they were married at a young age.
- 44% of divorces are because there is no equality in the marriage.