10 Celebrities Who Made Comebacks After Their Career Was Done For
Hollywood is a rollercoaster to watch. Many stars bow out on their own while others fade away after scandals never to return to the spotlight again. There are some who make spectacular falls only to climb back up like nothing ever happened. Let us look at a couple of celebrities who made career comebacks that weren’t short of miraculous.
- Robert Downey Jr. – Many people seem to have forgotten that Robert Downey Jr. was arrested many times in the 90s. He also spent a bit of time in rehab. But since being sober in 2003, his career has picked back up after starring in two Sherlock Holmes movies. He’s also been nailing his role as Tony Stark in Marvels universe.
- Britney Spears – Britney Spears life began to take a turn for the worse when she lost custody of her children to her ex-husband Kevin Federline. After spending five days at a psychiatric hospital in January 2008, Spears released her sixth album titled ‘Cross’ which was a chart-topping success.
- Neil Patrick Harrison – Neil Patrick Harrisons career stalled after his success as the star of Doogie Howser M.D. After making a cameo as a fictional version of himself on “Harold and Kumar go to White Castle”, his career started picking up again. What really solidified his success was his role as Barney on “How I Met Your Mother” which earned him four Emmy nominations.
- Drew Barrymore – It seemed like she could do no wrong after her phenomenal success as a child actor in “E.T. the Extra–Terrestrial”. However, she struggled to find work after being in rehab twice for alcohol and drug abuse which all happened before she was even 15. After multiple directors telling her that she’d never work again, she showed them all through her success coming back with 1998’s “The Wedding Singer”.
- Paula Abdul – Paula Abdul was one of the most famous choreographers and pop stars of the 1980s and early 90s. Her music career was put on hold after a horrible accident that left her in pain. Paula rose back to prominence after judging the hit show “American Idol”.
- Mandy Moore – Things started slowing down for Mandy Moore after she played spectacular roles in “The Princess Diaries” and “A Walk to Remember”. After playing a few roles which did almost nothing for her career, she was cast as the voice of Rapunzel in Disney’s 2010 movie titled “Tangled. This made her career soar to new heights and she hasn’t looked back since.
- Eminem – Slim Shady was a god back in the early 2000’s. All of that came to an end when his friend Proof was shot and killed. He said that he went to a dark place and the drugs only made it worse. He completely disappeared from the music scene only to return as a Rap God with Revival in 2017 and Kamikaze in 2018.
- Ellen DeGeneres – Ellen’s career was started with her doing stand up and then transitioning to acting roles. After she and her character came out, her ratings fell leaving her career in shambles. She rose back to prominence after being chosen to voice Dory in the hit movie “Finding Nemo”.
- Kesha – Everyone knows who Kesha is because everyone has heard her hit single “Tik-Tok”. Her producer locked heads with her in a legal battle that lasted years over a five year recording contract which stated that she couldn’t release music outside of the label. While the legal battle hasn’t ended, she’s now back in the public eye touring and performing once again.
- Ryan Reynolds – It’s ironic that a superhero role brought Ryan Reynolds career on hold while another superhero role is one of the highlights of his career. Everyone thought his career was dead after the flop that was 2011’s “Green Lantern”. However, Reynolds surprised everyone with his impeccable acting skills in 2016’s hit “Deadpool”.