Most Famous 80s Songs
The world of music in the 80s saw polarizing events and changes with the rise of conflicting genres such as synthwave, glam-metal, thrash metal, techno and house. The 80s saw the rise of digital production of music with synthesizers and also marked the emergence of heavy distortions with thrash metal and shred guitar. While glam metal became the most iconic genre of the 80s, the age also saw the rise of other complex genres such s Adult Contemporary, Smooth Jazz and Quiet Storm. Some of the legends of the music industry from the 80s include Madonna, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden.
One can see the wide range of musical genres and themes that were spawned during this time, and the roles these artists played in establishing the music of the coming age. The 80s in the United States saw the rise of musical genres such as R&B, Hip-Hop, Pop, Alternative Rock, Hard rock, country music and Glam Metal. The 80s in Europe took a slightly different course with the rise of music genres like Metal, Punk Rock, post-punk, Heavy Metal, math rock, psychedelic rock and Gothic Rock, house and disco music among others. Mentioned below is a list of the biggest hits from the 80s.
- I want to Break-free (Queen)- One cannot really mention the 80s without mentioning the mind-blowing phenomenon that was Queen. Freddie Mercury was a true virtuoso of his age who not only had a voice gifted by Gods of music but also a flamboyant stage presence to match his caliber. I want to Break Free by Queen was released in the year 1984 and was a roaring success upon its release. The song not only featured commentaries about sexual independence and freedom but was also an example of the musical diversity of Queen and Freddie Mercury himself.
- Sweet Child o’ Mine (Guns N’ Roses)- Released in 1988, Sweet Child o’ Mine was a part of the debut album released by one of the biggest American Rock bands, Guns N’ Roses. This song instantly became a hit and remains engraved on the minds of their fans to this day. The song is popular not only among the fans of the bygone ages but is also a fan-favorite of the modern generation.
- Fade to Black (Metallica)- Fade to Black was the first power ballad released by the American Heavy band Metallica. The song was originally released as a [romotional track for the band's second album called "Ride the Lightning." The song also contains one of the best guitar solos ever recorded ranking 24th on the Guitar World posts.
- Back in Black (AC/DC)- Also the name of the seventh studio album by the legendary American metal band AC/DC, Back in Black was released in the year 1980. The song received immense critical acclaim apart from an enormous fan-following. The Metal Hammer Magazine called the riffs in the song as one of the best ever in rock music. Apart from this, the way the song has been spaced, makes it one of the classic metal anthems for all ages.
- Thriller (Michael Jackson)- This is probably the biggest and most popular name on this list. The impact Michael Jackson had on the world of American and global music, in general, is unparalleled. His song (name of the album as well) Thriller set instant world records as soon as it was released. Featuring Michael's trademark voice and dancing style along with a dark gothic theme, made this song an instant classic that lasted the tide of times.