West Virginia Drivers Training: Behind the Wheel Training and Permit Training
If you are planning to drive a vehicle on the roads of West Virginia, you need to have a Driver's License. Once you get the license, you must always keep it with you. In West Virginia, there are two types of Driver's License and ID cards. These are -
- One is the Not For Federal Use Driver’s License or ID card
- Another is the For Federal Use or REAL ID
Requirements for a West Virginia driver’s license
If you are applying for this type of Driver's License in West Virginia, then you will have the following criteria –
- Identification proof
- Social Security Number or SSN (you can bring your card, or you can also provide a document which proves you have the SSN)
- Residential proof whereby you need to mention your full address and your name
- If you have changed your name in the past, and your identity document has your former name, then you need to bring all the official documents stating your name change.
If you are new to the state of West Virginia and you never had a Driver's License, then your application will be considered as a new one. In case your Driver's License has expired, or you are transferring your license from out-of-state, then to it will be regarded as a fresh application. If you are moving your license, then you need to provide the details of your previous license from the other state. You will also need to produce a driving record from the previous state, and that has to be a current one. If you are a new residence, you need to apply for your license within 30 days of your arrival.
School driver eligibility certificate
If you are under the age of 18 years and you want your Driver’s License in West Virginia, then you first need to have the School Driver Eligibility Certificate. But if you have already finished your graduation from your school but have not yet reached 18 years of age, then you can get a diploma.
Regular instruction permit
This permit is given to those who are of 18 years of age and above. Once you bring all the requirements for application and submit them, you will have to take some tests and pass them to qualify. These tests include the Knowledge Test and the Vision Test. Once you pass these tests, a Class E instruction permit will be issued to you. With this instruction permit, you can practice driving under a supervisor who has to be at least 21 years. This instruction permit has a validity of 90 days.
Graduated Driver’s License Instruction Permit or GDL Instruction Permit
The GDL Instruction Permit is meant for those who are between 15 and 17 years of age. This permit will give you the allowance to practice driving only if you have someone of 21 years of age or above in the front seat with you. The requirements for this permit are as follows –
- Age requirement of at least 15 years
- Your parents or your legal guardian must give you a written consent on form DMV-DS-23P
- You cannot drive without a licensed driver of at least 21 years of age
- Your driving hours should always be between 5 am and 10 pm
- If you face two convictions, then your permit will be revoked for 90 days
- In addition to your supervisor, only two non-family passengers are allowed to be with you while driving
Having a Driver's License is must in West Virginia and this rule is present for the safe operation of all vehicles in the state. So, if you are interested in getting a license check your eligibility from above.