How to Become an Uber Driver?
Uber has turned the term "sharing economy" into a reality that changed the way people get around. All the services Uber provides allow people to ride around town with ease, and turn drivers onto unofficial cab drivers. Whether you're looking for a full time or a part time job, this is how to become an Uber driver, and easily make money.
Uber – How to Become a Driver?
Uber provides several services, like UberPOOL and UberXL, but before we get into that, here are the basics on how to become an Uber driver:
Uber drivers must adhere to these requirements to become eligible for working with the company:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Have a valid US driver's license for at least one year, or three years for persons under 23
- Have a social security number
- Have an in-state insurance with the driver's name on the policy
- Have a car, or access to a car with 4 doors that is 10 years old or newer
- Have in state license plates (commercial plates are acceptable)
- Pass a background check – with the consent of the applicants, Uber performs background checks for criminal records and the candidate's motor vehicle history.
Uber Car Requirements:
Both candidates and their vehicles must fit the requirements to become an Uber driver, and these are the car requirements:
- Must have four doors – minivans and trucks are acceptable, as well as a manual transmission.
- Must be 10 years old or newer
- Must pass a vehicle inspection
- Must have 4 seats and four seatbelts (aside from the driver)
- The driver's name does not have to be on the vehicle registration, but it must appear on the insurance policy.
- Full sized vans are not allowed
- Taxis and other marked vehicles are not allowed
- No rebuilt or salvaged cars are allowed
- Vehicles with advertisements and markings are not allowed
Additional Uber Driving Options
The requirements above apply for people who wish to become an Uber driver on a basic level (UberX). For those of you who are thinking of joining Uber's other driver membership plans, here is what you need to know:
In terms of requirements, UberPOOL is similar to UberX. However, there are less restrictions in this type of plan. Passengers can choose to ride with others in this rideshare plan instead of riding alone. Passengers who don't mind sharing their Uber ride with strangers can choose the UberPOOL, and the drivers benefit as well; they have more passengers in a small amount of time, which means bigger earnings.
This Uber plan is suitable for drivers who have a vehicle that can seat more than 4 passengers. The vehicles most commonly used in the UberXL plan are minivans and SUVs that seat more than four people. The earnings from UberXL are naturally bigger, and drivers with large vehicles made after 2000 are eligible to apply to this plan.
Similar to the UberXL plan, aside from an age restriction on the vehicle. Only large vehicles from 2012 and forward are suitable for this plan. In addition, UberSUV vehicles must be in a very good condition and be considered luxury or high-end cars.
The UberSELECT is only suitable for luxury sedans with either vinyl or leather seats. Vehicles must be from 2009 or newer.
Vehicles in this category must be black, on the outside as well as on the inside. Only luxury vehicles made after 2013 can qualify for this program, and they must have the proper interior and exterior. UberBLACK vehicles are usually used in black tie events.
The most restricted and prestigious category in Uber. For vehicles to qualify for the UberLUX program, they must luxury, full sized cars. Also, only cars made after 2012 can be a part of UberLUX, and they must be considered high-end.
We have listed major requirements to become an UberX driver. If you and your car qualify for the plans offered by Uber, you can be a part of the rideshare revolution and also make a nice buck while cruising around and meeting new people.
Run a background check about yourself and see if there are reasons Uber won't approve you for becoming an Uber driver