How to Find Public Police Records in the State of Delaware?
Any record collected by the state or central governments in the United States of America is considered as public property. Hence, it should be put in the public domain so that citizens of the particular state and country can access the records. Since police records also fall under the category of public records, they also must be disseminated to the public on request. All the states in the USA are duty-bound to dispense Public Police Records to people on request.
Basics of Public Police Records in Delaware
Police records are the documents, which contain information like criminal history, arrest warrants, arrests, accidents, etc. The information elaborates on an individual’s conduct in the society and gives an idea as to how much a person is prone to committing a crime. These records help people in assessing a person by accessing police records. The following are the categories of Public Police Records.1. Criminal Records – Criminal records are the documents, which contain information collected from courts, detention centers, and other law enforcement agencies regarding criminal background, arrests, sentencing, incarceration, probation, and parole of a convicted individual.
2. Arrest Records – Arrest records are documents containing details of an offender collected at the time of the arrest. Apart from personal details of the offender, arrest records also mention whether the offender was questioned, apprehended or detained at the time of the arrest. Arrest records are not considered criminal records until the offender is proved guilty and sentenced in the court of law.
3. Arrest Warrant Records– Arrest warrant is an official document issued by a court authorizing a law enforcement authority to detain an offender allegedly involved in crime and other antisocial activities.
4. Accident records – Accident records contain details of accidents like vehicles involved in the accident, names of owners of the vehicles, place, name of the road, timing, etc. These records help people in getting insurances and also finding the causes of accidents.
How to Obtain Public Police Records in Delaware
Delaware State Police (DSP) provides Public Police Records to any individual on request. People can request background checks, mugshots, criminal records, accident records, etc. The following are the ways to obtain police records in the State of Delaware.
1. Personal Visit – The headquarters of Delaware State Police is situated in Dover. Visiting the office there would help you in getting police records at the earliest. You need to fill the respective forms depending upon the records you are seeking. You need to provide photo identification like a driver’s license or state ID to get police records. The fee ranges from $52 to $65 depending upon the type of request you make. You can also visit the county Sheriff’s office and other law enforcement offices to get police records. Below is the address of the headquarters.
Delaware State Police
1441 N. DuPont Highway
P.O. Box 430
Dover, Delaware 19903-0430
For accident reports write a mail to:
Delaware State Police
Traffic Operations Section
P.O. Box 430
Dover, DE 19903
The fee for accident reports $25 to $60 depending upon the accident.2. Online – Delaware State Police doesn’t provide online services for police records. You have to search for third party websites on the internet to get police records. There are several websites, which provide police records for the State of Delaware. They charge as per the request you have made.
3. Mail – You can write a mail to the above-mentioned address of Delaware state police headquarters requesting police records. For more information, visit the official website given below.
Find Delaware Public Police Records with GoLookUp!