Ely State Prison Information
Ely State Prison is a penitentiary of the class of maximum-security prisons, meaning this prison incorporates the highest levels of security to prevent prisoners from escaping. Ely State Prison started operating in July 1989 and has since been catering to the State of Nevada.
The place of location of Ely State Prison in White Pine County, a mountainous region situated about 9 miles to the north of Ely. The construction of this Prison involved 2 phases – Phase I was completed in August 1989 and the prison was opened for use in the same year. Completion of Phase II happened in November 1990.
Ely State Prison is run and managed by the Nevada Department of Corrections (NDOC). The Prison operates in alignment with the NDOC’s mission to maintain high standards of public safety by through a corrective facility that provides a safe and humane environment with proven rehabilitation programs that enable inmates to reintegrate into the society successfully.
Given Here are Some Basic Details and Key Aspects of This Famous Prison:
Number of Inmates
Ely State Prison was originally designed to accommodate 1, 054 inmates. But, over years, the capacity of the Prison has been increased to accommodate 1,183 inmates.
The current capacity of the Prison stands at 1, 183 inmates.
P.O. Box 1989
4569 North State Rt.
Ely, Nevada 89301
Ely State Prison
4569 NORTH STATE ROUTE 490
P.O. BOX 1989
ELY, NV 89301
Ely State Prison has different tiers of inmates, and the visitation hours are different for different tiers:
- Minimum Custody Inmates – The visiting hours are 4.30 PM to 8.45 PM, on Saturdays and Sunday. Visitation hours for Monday are 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM.
- Close and Maximum Custody Inmates – The general visitation hours are 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM, from Tuesday to Sunday.
o Maximum Custody – Tuesday – 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM
o Protective Custody Level – 3 – Wednesday – 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM
o General Population Level – 2 – Thursday - 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM
o Protective Custody Level – 2 – Friday - 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM
o General Population Level – 1 – Saturday - 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM
o Protective Custody Level – 1 – Sunday - 8.30 AM to 2.45 PM
The operations of the Prison are supervised by a tier of officers -Warden, Associate Warden and Admin Services Officers of different grades. Warden details are as follows:
Warden - William “Bill” Gittere
Associate Warden - David Drummond
Associate Warden - William Reubart
Admin Services Officer II - Lori Drew
Ely State Prison has well-developed management to take care of its employees and inmates. The Prison has a staff strength of 406 and is one of the major employers in the State. Management ensures that the Prison staff is actively involved in several community activities.
The Education Division of the DOC implements several correctional education programs for the welfare of the inmates:
- Vocational Training – Skill training is imparted to inmates by prison industries, school districts and colleges, and the Nevada Division of Forestry. Inmates are trained in a variety of skills including fire-fighting, culinary, construction, auto mechanics, equipment repair, furniture manufacturing, computer skills and more.
- Certificate-Only Programs – These include:
o Anger Management
o Anxiety Management
o Victim Awareness
o Values of Responsible Living
o The Adult Relapse Prevention Workbook
o Domestic Violence Awareness & Prevention
- Adult Education – DOC, in collaboration with school districts, implements correctional education curriculum including primary literacy for inmates. The Adult Education program ensures that every inmate is equipped with a High School Diploma or GED at the time of leaving the prison.
How to Find an Inmate in Ely State Prison
The Department of Corrections has an online Inmate Search tool for those looking to find information on an inmate. One can search using the Inmate ID or using the first and last name.
Information can also be obtained by calling Family Services at (775) 887-3367 and Victim Services at (775) 887-3393.