Joe Kegan State Jail Profile and Valuable Information
Joe Kegan's State Jail is a detention center for men located in Downtown Houston, Texas. The men's only facility houses both long-term and short-term inmates. The present capacity of the State Jail is 667 inmates, of which the majority are low-risk criminal offenders who are released within 120 days of arrest.
Joe Kegan State Jail History
The State Jail was first opened in February 1995 as a detention site for non-violent offenders to prevent overcrowding in the main jails. However, the jail closed after four months as it did not house enough inmates. The jail reopened in 1997 and was dedicated to Joe Kegan, a district judge who had died in the same year at the age of 63. All inmates who are transferred to the jail are convicted of non-violent crimes or parole violations.
Joe Kegan's State Jail Phone Number
(713) 224-6584 (**117)
Joe Kegan State Jail Address
Joe Kegan State Jail Inmate Programs
Joe Kegan State Jail has several programs for the rehabilitation and restitution of inmates.
- Adult Basic Education/ General Education Diploma
- Cognitive Intervention
- Provide services to agencies in the city and county such as food banks and local organizations
- Substance Abuse Education
- Life Skills
- Support Groups
- Serving for Success
- Religious or Faith-Based Studies
- GO KIDS
- Crime Stoppers
- Adult Education Programs
- Prisoner Reentry Initiative
- Peer Education
- Chaplaincy Services
- Faith-Based Dormitory
Joe Kegan State Jail Visiting Hours
You can visit an inmate in the jail every Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Every inmate can only qualify for visitation after 14 days of incarceration. To check whether you are an approved visitor, call the unit at the phone number listed above. At the same time, ask whether visitation hours are changed or canceled on the day you are scheduled to visit.
Joe Kegan State Jail Mail and Visitation Rules
There are a few visitation rules laid out for all visitors to the institution. All visitors are allowed visitation for two hours, though the length can differ depending on the number of visitants.
- All visitors must be listed on the inmates' approved list. The inmate can regularly update the list throughout their incarceration
- You have to present a government-issued identity card if you are above the age of 18, which includes your passport, military ID, State issued ID card, driver's license, and Public Safety ID among others
- If you are below the age of 17, you have to present your birth certificate or your student ID
- You are not allowed to bring cell phones, computers, recording devices, or electronic equipment of any kind into the facility. Outside food, drink, and tobacco products are also prohibited
- All children should remain under supervision at all times. If any child indulges in unruly behavior, the authorities will request their parents or guardian to leave
Joe Kegan State Jail Mailing address
To send mail to an inmate, write their full name and Inmate ID Number on an envelope, along with the following address:
Joe Kegan's State Jail, 707 Top Street, Houston 77002, Texas.
Joe Kegan State Jail Inmate Locator
You can check the status of an incarcerated inmate by accessing GoLookUp, a federal inmate search. You will receive records on the individual's offender information, arrest records, release date, aliases, and the department where the inmate resides.
To access GoLookUp's inmate search, enter the first and last name of the individual. The database will scan all public records that hold the first and last names of the individual and will provide you with results that include their arrest records and contact information. To receive the full information of the individual, you will have to pay a small fee to the website.