Wabash Valley Correctional Facility Profile and Valuable Information
The Wabash Valley Correctional Facility is a prison facility with a mixed custody level that can presently hold approximately 2,200 minimum-maximum security male offenders. It is located north of Carlisle, Indiana.
Are you wondering whether your loved one has been held here as an inmate or where to start in order to get in touch with them? Here’s a comprehensive guide laid out for easy navigation.
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility history
The construction of the facility had begun almost in October 1990. Under the instruction of the Indiana Department of Correction, it took almost 7 years to complete the construction of all the phases of the prison. The ground of the site covers up to 340 acres in Sullivan County. In June 2018, the facility at Indianapolis, IN was awarded formal re-accreditation by the American Correctional Association.
Just outside the maximum-security perimeter fence, the offenders in minimum security are house in a dorm-style setting. The two wings here can house up to 198 inmates. On the other hand, the north maximum security setting comprises three units with a total of 88 double-bunk cells. The right-wing has 44 cells for the general inmates, the left-wing (DHU unit) with 28 cells houses inmates participating in the Special Needs Acclamation Program and the third unit is a pre-hearing restricting housing unit with 16 cells.
There are 5 units in the maximum-security south. All of them are two-man cells except the SNU (Secured Confinement Unit). The SNU houses up to 288 inmates and is a disciplinary restricted-status complex will single cell arrangement for every inmate. This restricted unit is for seriously mentally ill offenders needing intensive treatment.
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility phone number
+1 (812)-398-5050 ext. 3165
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility address
6908 S. Old US. Highway 41, P.O. Box 500
Carlisle, IN 47838
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility inmate programs
Here are some of the programs which are offered as per the inmates’ needs:
- PLUS (Purposeful Living Units Serve)
- MRT (Moral Reconation Therapy)
- Think For A Change
- Fatherhood Program
- Substance Abuse Treatment Program
- PERP (Prevention & Relationship Enhancement Program)
- Adult Basic Education & TASC
- Vocational Education Program
- WIN Soft Skills
- Suicide Watch Companions
- Literacy Life Skills
- U.S Dept. of Labor Apprenticeship Programs
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility visiting hours
Visiting hours for J-Housing Unit:
- 6 pm to 8 pm on Monday, Thursday and Friday
- 9 am to 3 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays
YIA (youth incarcerated as adults) can be visited on all days from 3 pm to 6 pm. For inmates in the rest of the area of the facility, visitation is permitted every day between 9 am to 3 pm.
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility mail and visitation rules
Rules for sending mail:
Format the envelope in the following manner:
Inmate's Full Name
Inmate's ID Number
PO Box or Street address
City, State, zip code
- While sending photos, make sure they are not more than 4”x 6” size. Polaroid or instant photos are prohibited for security reasons. The pictures cannot contain content i.e. suggestive of illegal activity or suggested nudity.
- All mail is opened and inspected before reaching the hands of the inmate. Thus, do not add maps, codes or symbols in a letter or put any decoration, staples, lipstick or perfume on it.
- You can get subscriptions of magazines, books & newspapers for an inmate because these are only directly receivable from the publisher. 3rd party sellers are restricted and the books must be paperback.
- Get your inmate to mail you the visiting application form
- Fill it out honestly & completely and mail it back to the facility. Wait while the application is processed.
- Each visitor has to fill out a form individually to be eligible for the approved visiting list (including minors). The application form for child visitors has to be submitted with a copy of a birth certificate attached to it.
- Ask the inmate directly about your visiting status. The facility is not responsible to intimate you.
- Always call the facility prior to your visit to be informed about the latest visitation updates.
- Except for legal visits, all other visits are restricted to one inmate/ visit.
- An approved visitor list for an inmate cannot have more than 12 names.
- All visitors and their vehicles may be searched.
- Do not bring in electronic devices, inflammable objects, tobacco products, drugs or weapons of any kind.
- All visitors have to pass through a metal detector.
- Carry a valid photo ID proof (birth certificate for minors)
- Visit the JPAY website to know about video visitation (allowed for selected inmates). This also requires you to be on the approved visiting list.
- Giving anything to the inmate during the visit is considered as trafficking by the facility.
- Do not touch the inmate except for a brief kiss or embrace at the start and end of the visit.
- Offensive and revealing clothing are prohibited.
- Shirts and blouses must be full-sleeves.
- Uniforms of any kind are not allowed to be worn.
- Outwears like hat or sunglasses, anything that covers the face, cannot be worn.
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility inmate locator
The GoLookUp inmate search directory (https://golookup.com/inmate-search) is one of the easiest inmate locators that can help you locate your loved one who has been incarcerated in the U.S.