How to Get a Marriage License in the State Of Delaware
Getting a marriage license is mandatory in Delaware just like any other American state. The parties can also submit an online application for their marriage license. They can go to Certified Copies of Records to get a copy of their marriage license in case their marriage ceremony is already solemnized.
License requirements for marriage in Delaware
- The application must be made jointly by the couple concerned (Mon-Fri) between 8 am to 3.30 pm.
- In case one of the partners is non-English speaking, there is a need for a translator. However, the translator has to be a minimum of 18 years and have proper identification.
- There is 30 days validity for marriage licenses. Plus, the marriage ceremony should be held in Delaware.
- The license for marriage should be procured at least twenty-four hours before the marriage ceremony for both non-residents and residents.
Requirements for identification proof
Valid documents including
- A Driver’s License
- Consulate ID
- A military ID for a person on Active Military Duty
The ID produced should have the mention of the party’s birth date. Proof of identification is also needed To verify then the identification of an applicant is authentic or not, the relevant authority can also need certain extra documentation like a social security card or a birth certificate.
Some other requirements for obtaining a marriage license in Delaware
- The name mentioned on the valid ID proof produced will be the name appearing on the marriage license.
- The parties need to also mention the birth names of their parents, birth, and place of residency.
- A prescribed fee for performing the marriage should be paid at the Office of the Clerk of the Peace. The fees may differ for residents and non-residents. The fees should be paid either through credit cards or cash while submitting the application form and are not refundable. Appointments cannot be made over telephones.
- In case any or both the applicants were married previously, they need to produce a certified or original copy of the marriage dissolution, annulment, divorce decree, or the death certificate if applicable. In case, the certified or the original documents are in a language other than English; the parties should present a certified translation. The parties should also be aware of the place where their previous marriage took place and the date of such a marriage.
- If any of the applicants are on parole or probation, they should get a special written authorization available with them before applying. Plus, the said couple should get in touch with parole or probation before applying for their marriage license.
- An applicant should be at least 18-year-old for getting married in Delaware.
- Both the applicants should not be related to one another.
- Gift certificates for a marriage license are available too.
- Neither of the parties can be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while applying or during their marriage ceremony.
- Any couple who gets married in the county of New Castle should be sure that the individual solemnizing their marriage ceremony has the authority to do so.
- The parties can be asked for verifying how accurate the information provided on their marriage license is before issuing it. It is done to make sure the there is accuracy in the given information and the spellings are correct in the application form If any correction is made after the recording of the marriage license, a fee for the certified copy may be needed.
Same gender marriages are legal in the state of Delaware from July 1, 2013.
Search for Public Marriage Records in Delaware with GoLookUp!