Sex Offender Laws in Indiana
In Indiana, non-consensual acts of sexual contact such as touching a child or an adult sexually touching or raping them are a punishable offense. However, criminal penalties in the state can vary by the weapons used, the threat of force, or the magnitude of violence, the age of the defendant and the victim among others. Severe penalties are meted out in aggravating circumstances due to their malicious or severe nature. The consent age in the state of Indiana is 16. On the flip side, the state has a law known as “Romeo and Juliet law,” which enables 14-15-year-old adolescent to be associated in sexual activity with their peers in a non-forced manner if the latter is up to four years older.
Check out the sexual assault and rape laws in the state of Indiana
The state’s law declares it illegal to have vaginal, oral, anal sex or rape or penetrate the anus or the genitals of another person with an object using the threat of force or force. It is also illegal to forcefully have sex when the other individual was incapacitated because he/she was unconscious or mentally disabled. Rape is considered as a Level 3 felony unless there was the presence of aggravating factors such as using a deadly weapon or force leading to a severe injury in the victim’s body or by deploying date rape drugs. The state regards aggravated rape as a Level 1 felony.
Touching an individual to arouse yourself sexually or sexual battery, or using force on the victim, or when an individual is mentally disabled where consent to touch them can never be accorded. Also, sexual battery is touching female breasts, buttocks, or a person’s genitals when the said individual is not aware of the occurrence of the touching. The sexual battery has the same aggravating factors a rape. If aggravated, sexual battery is a Level 4 battery. Else, it is regarded as a Level 66 felony.
The state has a law for sexual misconduct when a person comes into prohibited sexual contact with a 14/15-year old adolescent.
- If an individual aged between 18-20 years of age has sexual conduct or sex with a child of 14/150year-old, the law of Indiana regards it as a Level 5 Felony. However, it is regarded as a Level1 Felony when there are aggravating factors.
- In case the conduct is just about sexual touching or fondling, the law considers it as a Level 6 felony. When aggravating factors are existing in the case, the act becomes a Level 2 Felony.
- If a person of a minimum 21-year-old is involved in sexual conduct or sex with any child of 14/15 years of age, the law will look at it as a Level 4 Felony. However, in the presence of aggravating factors, it becomes a Level 1 Felony.
- In case the conduct is limited to only sexual touching or fondling, it is to be considered as Level 5 Felony.
In case the sufferer is below 14 years of them, the crime related to sexual conduct or sex is referred to as child molestation and is a Level 3 Felony. However when there are aggravating factors like the defendant is a minimum of 21-year-old or rapes a minor, the offense falls under the category of Level 1 felony.
Penalties/punishment for Indiana sex offenders
- Level 1 Felony- Fine of up to 10,000 USD and incarceration of 20-40 years
- Level 2 Felony-Fine of up to 10,000 USD and incarceration of 10-30 years
- Level 3 Felony- Fine of up to 10,000 USD and incarceration of 3-16 years
- Level 4 Felony-Fine of up to 10,000 USD and incarceration of 2-12 years
- Level 5 Felony-Fine of up to 10,000 USD and incarceration of 1-6 years
- Level 6 Felony-Fine of up to 10,000 USD and incarceration of 6 months-2.5 years