Pam Grier Celebrity Life
Born on May 26, 1949, in North Carolina, Pam Grier is a well-known American actress who became popular during the 1970s. Her mother Gwendolyn Sylvia was a nurse and homemaker while her father served the U.S Air Force as a technical sergeant and mechanic. Pam Grier carries a mixed ancestry that consists of Hispanic, Chinese, African-American, Cheyenne and Filipino heritage.
Since her father was in the military, their family had to move frequently to different places; they eventually settled in Denver, Colorado where Pam attended the popular East High School. In the later years, she participated in numerous stage productions and beauty contests in Denver to make up for her college tuition.
The year 1968 was a turning point for Pam Grier; she moved to Los Angeles and began attending acting classes. However, there were a number of dismal auditions after which she secured her first job as a receptionist and switchboard operator at the American International Pictures.
Pam Grier’s acting career started in 1970 when she got an opportunity to play a small role in ‘Beyond the Valley of the Dolls’. The next year, she grabbed a starring role in the movie ‘The Big Doll House’. Subsequently, she worked in’ Black Mama White Mama’, ‘The Big Bird Cage’ and ‘Scream Blacula Scream’. Grier, however, is mostly recognized for her performances in blaxploitation films such as Foxy Brown, Coffy, Baby, Friday Foster, and Sheba.
Pam Grier was also interested in theatre productions. She took a break from Hollywood to work for stage performances and TV Productions where she earned a solid reputation as a versatile star. Grier also featured in Miami Vice and Crime Story on the small screen between 1985-1990.
Pam jumped back into Hollywood in the late 1980s and began playing prominent roles. She featured in ‘The Bronx’, ‘Fort Apache’, Above the Law’ and ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes’. She was also recognized for her remarkable performances in ‘Original Gangstas’, ‘Mars Attacks!’ and ‘Escape from LA’.
Pam Grier’s net worth is said to be around $10 million. She has earned all this from her movie and TV performances.
- Grier dated Lew Alcindor, a basketball player who later converted to Islam. Due to some misunderstanding, their relationship did not stand and the couple parted ways.
- Pam Grier met Freddie Prinze, a comedian while promoting one of her films in 1973. Since Prinze was a drug addict, Grier reconsidered her decision and decided to break her relationship with him.
- She was also in a relationship with Richard Pryor but this did not last long too. She dated Peter Hempel from 2000-2008.
Grier remains unmarried and does not have any children.
Pam Grier was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 1988 and was told that she would not survive beyond 18 months but fortunately, she recovered and survived. She now lives in Colorado and has published a memoir named ‘Foxy: My Life in Three Acts in 2010’ which unfolds unturned chapters of her childhood experiences, personal relationships, family, her battle with dreaded cancer and more.
Pam Grier was nominated for:
- Golden Globes USA’s Best performance by an actress in a motion picture-Comedy or Musical for ‘Jackie Brown’ in 1997.
- Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films USA’s Best Actress Award for Jackie Brown in 1997.
- Awards Circuit Community Awards’ Best Actress in a leading role for Jackie Brown in 1997.
Pam Grier won:
- 20/20 Awards’ Best Actress Award for Jackie Brown in 1997.
- Acapulco Black Film Festival’s career achievement award in 1999.
- Csapnivalo Awards’ best female performance award for Jackie Brown in 2000